Stress Fracture

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

griff
Leading Sire

Stress Fracture

Postby griff » Mon May 24, 2010 9:09 am

Has anyone ever heard if pin firing a stress fracture??

I can understand how pin firing might help a bucked shin recover but do not understand how applying that kind of heat to a horses shin would help a stress fracture heal. Granted it is a very small fracture but still do not understand how pin firing will help.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Strategic Maneuver
Starters Handicap

Postby Strategic Maneuver » Mon May 24, 2010 2:15 pm

Nope, and I wouldn't do it to my horse. I've heard of people using shock wave but as far as I know, stall rest and time are the only real cure for a stress fracture.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon May 24, 2010 8:22 pm

I contacted the VA Tech Marian duPont Scott Equine Medica Center near Leesburg, VA thisn afternoon and the first thing we are goig to do is trake a set of X rays using their state of nthe art machine see if we really have a problem or not.

They do not bad mouth pin firing but do not offer it as a treatment.. They do have a state of the art Acoustic Shock Wave machine and offer that servise at about 10 cents a pluse.. The range of pluses they recommend ranges from 1,000 to 3,000.

I also ran into some strong advocates of the use of magnets.. I again can not understandnhow a magnet is going to help my horse heal but I find that while there has been very little study on the use of equine magnets that the FDA has approved magnects to treat human fractures

Any thoghts or experience withmagnets??

griff

Strategic Maneuver
Starters Handicap

Postby Strategic Maneuver » Tue May 25, 2010 5:47 am

Whoa.....that is one pricey shock wave treatment. I have used magnents for other various ailments such as thrombosis and I did try them on a lay up filly with a funky ankle. The outcomes on both were better than expected so I feel like the magnents helped, especially on the thrombosis.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue May 25, 2010 9:23 am

Thanks

SmartPak has magnets but where did you get yours.

Also, where are you getting acoustic shock wave treatments for less than 10 cents a pulse?? That comes out to $100 total cost for a 1,000 pulses or $300 total cost for a 3,000 pulses which seems to be the range they use.

griff

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Tue May 25, 2010 5:06 pm

I've used shock waves on cracked shins... Worked successfully on the first one and the second one is sucessful so far.
Racing and retraining.

Strategic Maneuver
Starters Handicap

Postby Strategic Maneuver » Tue May 25, 2010 5:10 pm

Thank you for working out the math for me, I figured it completely wrong. I have been paying $250 a session for a splint so their prices are right in line. The equine magnets I have used were, I think, made by Norfields and I'm not sure they are still in business. The ones I used for the thrombosis ( and on myself on occasion) are made by BIOflex and are made in Germany. One of my fillies at the track just came down with a stress fracture, right cannon, so if you hear of anything great, let me know.