A foals first shots, what age?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

oliverstoned
Restricted Stakes Winner

A foals first shots, what age?

Postby oliverstoned » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:19 pm

When and what shots do you and/or your Vet recommend for foals. I have lots of mosquitos and EEE is in the next County.

Blue feather
Allowance Winner

Postby Blue feather » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:59 pm

I'm in PA. At 6 months we vaccinate with 5-way(eastern&western enceph., ehv-1,ehv-4,tetanus), rabies,west nile virus and bot.. Rabies and Bot. booster at 7 months. Bot. booster and Potomac horse fever at 8 months. Pot horse fever booster at 9 months.

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:19 pm

We always do tetnus right after they are born. The rest at 6 months-ish. SO long as the mare has been vaccintated routinely, and the foal gets adequate colostrum, the foal should be well protected. We do tetnus because it's bacterial and exists everywhere.
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:34 am

I do tetanus antitoxin right after they are born (foals cannot develop their own antibodies until they are about 6 mos old) to protect the open umbilical stump from tetanus until it has closed. I do an igge to ensure sufficient colostrum - we also vaccinate the MARE a week before anticipated foaling date to boost her colostrum.

I start the foals' vaccinations at 6 mos old.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....