So what do you think of our girl?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

So what do you think of our girl?

Postby karenkarenn » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:18 am

Hello here is our girl the day after she was released from her stall after the Vaccine Induced Strangles. I know she is fat. Yes I know but this is her first day out in the pasture and I am asking everyone what they think? Its been two months in the stall and I know that shes due for a trimming before we take her to a breaking and training place

OH yeah by the way, When she was at the vet for her last two tests her left ear is from her dams and her right ear is from Stormy Jack. Its bizzare. Her ears are different lenght and shape wise.

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:45 am

my humble opinion for what it's worth. pics. lie--can only go on what shows. she seems in decent condition for 2 months stalling, although unknown why a horse would be stalled for strangles for two months.

this little horse has some racing confirmation issues, and looks weak for her age. nice coat--you feed fat--but body shape indicates she's been raised differently than young race horses are raised.

i'd peg her as problematic racing prospect due to confirmation and lack of racing type care to date-although looks as if she's young enough that maybe the latter is a small instead of big problem

before spending any training $$$ might consider applying light weight shoes and try some daily riderless work in a paddock. strengthen up, race horse feed, increase intensity of riderless work, see how she handles. if, after 8 weeks she shows speed and smooth efficient stride in the paddock, then i might consider sending her off to training. training under tack for her right now will set her back farther imo. she's out of condition for being ridden. due to this she'll move foward faster right now riderless than under tack.

This filly has other than race horse legs. if she has speed and talent, think one would still have to be very careful with her.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:06 pm

OKay Rather
Help me understand what you are talking about. How do they feed for racehorse yearlings? OKay and confirmation help me understand what wrong?
I have other pictures if you want me to go outside and stand her up I can.
However please remember its just me out there

ArchDandy
Allowance Winner

Postby ArchDandy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:22 pm

Is the horse unsound? Why the need for shoes?

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:52 pm

I'd have to refer to our hunnish ancestors. imo inhumane to take horses into battle without shoes. Arch u have point though. careful to avoid creating contracted heals with too early shoeing. into training though--need shoes to prevent excessive concussion on immature bones.

Karen--more pics would help evaluating conf. ive seen photos showing perfect conf., then you look at the horse live and omg. however--the pics show over at the knee and excessive length pasterns--q combo-although luckily looks as if you have perfect pastern angles. i'm as much bothered by the rear pasterns as they show in the photos. these look to be non-speed pasterns to me--seeing the horse in motion would help. some questionably conformed horses are very easy on themselves at speed, otheres not so much.

race feeding yearling--overall program actually from time of conception--optimized health care, planned exercise program from birth, feeding for minimum nutritional requirements with supplemenation for growth performance and energy will give you a very different photo of the same horse. again--going on only these photos, and she just came out of two months stalling! and, btw, some things to like about this little horse also. lot's of growing to do!

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:55 pm

Okay Rather
What kind of pics would you like. Would you like her square? Um I have seen many that the pic showing all four legs. I can get her square if that helps, as far as feeding goes. This is a tough issue.
With her going into quarentine and sitting there, playing by Piffers rules, yes she is fat ( grass hay belly there ) Our supply store is limited, we had her on ( before the issue) rice bran, ( hence the coat) and grain - Strategy- recomended by our vet at the time. Soo As far as a professional feeding program-- um I know thats not me.. She is going to a farm in Ca for a more Professional outlook, as of SOON.
Karen

Oh by the way is there anything that you do like. Ive noticed that there is some 149 people that have seen this post and well -- Gosh I dont know- usually people put their two cents in right about now.
So Rather I shall get out there now.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:03 pm

Karen, how are your strangles doing?

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:23 pm

Crystal
three different tests confirmation negative. blood sinus and gutteral. WHOA HOOO and Pfiffer is paying.. WHOA Hooo

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:33 pm

I ment you, you had said you were sick. Hope the kids didnt catch it.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:34 pm

OHHH Ill pm you

ArchDandy
Allowance Winner

Postby ArchDandy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:50 pm

I guess I don't understand how a shoe absorbs concussion, and as far as inhumane goes, if a horse can't run on prepared dirt or turf without protection- there must be something wrong with it.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:43 am

See I think its just too early to add shoes, shes barley just a yearling, was sick, yeah shes going to be bodily weak- obvisouly her body went through a rough battle. not to sure about adding shoes
Karen

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:26 am

good job on photos! nice shoulder, rear end. some decent breeding, maybe?
looks like a very sweet decently cared for horse.

we remember though, this is a racing prospect with lots of $$$ to be spent getting her ready, and so the analysis is fairly brutal and straight forward, and also quite possibly incorrect being based on photos only. Were we to see the horse live, different opinion possibly.

race prospects of this age need should be certain distance along in terms of physical and muscular development, whereas this horse is already behind the 8 ball. assuming race appropriate exercise, it will take this horse 6 months to get to where she should already be right now, which is reason i brough up doing some ground training. I fear more stalling at a training center with occasional riding will only set her back more, and the result is likely to be--sorry, your horse now has this or that inj. problem.
My opinion--this horse needs fairly dramatic strenghtening before proceding. She has fragile looking nearly spindly legs. She lacks natural musculature in rear legs exacerbated by gross lack of appropriate exercise (from the photos). She's young, and still redeemable as it's unknown how she'll develop. She's naturally athletic enough to have some possibilities, depending on how she grows.

As to shoeing, "what do shoes have to do with concussion"--my guess, 99% of TB race horse people would answer that shoes reduce concussion, dramatically. avoid repeat of shoeing debate. if the horse is going to work she needs to be shod. Preston Burch used half shoes on his yearlings to avoid contracted heels. Strategy and rice bran seem show horse stuff to me, but am other than an expert on equine nutrition.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:14 pm

I agree with ratherrapid that your filly needs more time, probably quite a bit more, before going to the training center. You'd be wasting your money to send her now and not doing the filly any favors either--after 2 months in a stall she is way out of shape. Much better, if possible, to turn her out on good grass in a group of her peers and give her six months or so to eat and build muscle and return to the peak of health. The added stress of going into training now is only going to set her back farther.

Just as a comparison, here's a picture of a filly we bred and kept to race. Picture was taken last July when she was a yearling, probably about the same age as your filly.

She didn't have the disadvantage your filly did--ours was never sick and was raised mostly outside, but you can see how much more muscle and conditioning she has. This is more what you're aiming for. Even so, we opted to give our filly more time to grow up and didn't send her to a training center until January of this year.

As for shoes, we never put them on babies unless there's a problem. The filly pictured above was still barefoot when she went to the training center and remained that way until a couple of months ago when she started doing some early speed work.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:30 pm

Hmm what you are saying is true. However the reason why we are moving is because of our weather. We get snow in Sept. Its thick in Jaunary and freakin cold. Sinply transporting her because its dangerous driving going out of the state.
I would like to propose that to keep her in California in pasture until January then start to break in March? Do you think thats too much? Or should I have someone put her in a roundh pen after she leaves instead of keeping her in a pasture.
Karen