turning out yearlings with weanlings

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Pav
2yo Maiden

turning out yearlings with weanlings

Postby Pav » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:17 am

I'm thinking about buying a yearling colt at one of the upcoming sales, and the way my farm is set up right now, I would likely need to put him in with my weanling colt. Is this a good/bad idea? Are there safety issues with this? Anyone have experience doing this before?

Thanks,
Pav

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:30 am

turn him out with geldings , or geld your yearling.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:25 am

If they were fillies I would say Go For It. The concern I would have is that colts can play pretty rough and the yearling would certainly have the best of the weanling. On the other hand, the weanling will grow like mad working to keep up with the yearling.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:28 am

I wouldn't risk it. Sales yearlings are typically bigger and fitter then your "run of the mill yearlings" because they are pumped full of feed and exercised regularly, they are also often raised in individual paddocks. They are even more likely to be aggressive because of this. You could try it and find that they would love each other or you could try it and the yearling could break the weanlings leg with one swift kick. JMO
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:14 am

will there be just two in the paddock, or more? i've had yearlings with weanlings fairly often. but yet to intro a yearling. that's different scenario, and always high injury risks the first week unless appropriate precautions taken. i have had some problems with older stallions chasing young colts. i'd doubt this a problem at this age, but might depend on particular situation, number and type of horses in the paddock. mares in vicinity, etc. somebody will pair up and protect the weanling in the correct situation.