Phantom slipped foals

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Nessa
Grade III Winner

Phantom slipped foals

Postby Nessa » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:06 pm

Two mares that I have been following were sold at Keeneland last year and were listed as having aborted a single foal and believed to not be pregnant at the time of their selling. Both of these mares gave birth to a single foal this year by the listed covering sires without being rebred. How often does this happen, a mare giving birth after having been thought to have lost a foal?
Nu

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:20 pm

I don't know how often it happens, but depending on how early a farm ultrasounds their mares post breeding, and when they re-check, it could just be an error of timing and the location on the fetus in the uterus. That being said, if they claim they aborted or slipped a foal, usually that means an actual fetus was observed being delivered dead or early, but past the time a resorbtion would occur in which case there should be NO chance of the mare having a foal the following year.

Id beintersted in knowing the full stories of the mares...could be sellers not wanting to pay the fees...
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:18 am

So what happens then, regarding the fee? If the seller puts the mare in the catalog as PREGNANT, the seller would have paid the fee prior to the mare going into the sale. But if the mare is listed as NOT PREGNANT, then no fee is due prior to the sale.. who pays in the event that the mare foals?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Nessa
Grade III Winner

Postby Nessa » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:19 pm

Here are the two mares that I was talking about.

Hidden Fortune had a Montbrook this year.
https://secure.keeneland.com/sales/nov09/pdfs/2441.pdf

Fast Deal had a Lemon Drop Kid as well.
https://secure.keeneland.com/sales/nov09/pdfs/2004.pdf
Nu

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:02 pm

Madelyn, here's my understanding from my own history of sales/breeding...
When you breed a mare, you pay a chute/handling fee, and usually a booking fee ('x' percent of the stud fee). You get a live foal, you pay the remainder of the fee before the foal gets registered (usually before hte stallion owner sneds out the paperowrk to you) You don't get a live foal, you have the option to re-breed, or forfeit your chute fee and booking fee.

From what I gather of the sales from looking at mares, all outstanding fees on a pregnant mare MUST be paid in full before the mare can be consigned, and the stallion owner has to provide proof of that. OR, the seller has to provide vet proof that mare is NOT in foal even though she was covered. If the mare foals post sale, the new owner has to pay the outstanding stud fee in order to register the foal. SOme sales require their own vet to preg check the mares, some will just accept a vet cert.
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:40 am

Nessa wrote:Here are the two mares that I was talking about.

Hidden Fortune had a Montbrook this year.
https://secure.keeneland.com/sales/nov09/pdfs/2441.pdf

Fast Deal had a Lemon Drop Kid as well.
https://secure.keeneland.com/sales/nov09/pdfs/2004.pdf

The Jockey Club does not have live foals listed for either of those mares in 2010.

Nessa
Grade III Winner

Postby Nessa » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:50 pm

I used the Breeder's Cup nomination site and found this, perhaps the mares didn't foal in the United States.

NOT (S9) Lemon Drop Kid Fast Deal Grand Slam 2010.

NOT (S9) Montbrook Hidden Fortune Gone West 2010.
Nu

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:55 am

Nessa wrote:I used the Breeder's Cup nomination site and found this, perhaps the mares didn't foal in the United States.

NOT (S9) Lemon Drop Kid Fast Deal Grand Slam 2010.

NOT (S9) Montbrook Hidden Fortune Gone West 2010.

The BC has changed the way their site reports things and the answer you got there simply tells you that those mares were bred to those stallions for 2010, not that live foals were born. Note that if you enter Fast Deal's name and the year 2011, you will get the same result but with Malibu Moon as the sire; but that doesn't mean that her 2011 foal has already been born--or that it necessarily ever will be.

Fwiw, foals born outside the U.S are much more likely to have been reported to the Jockey Club than to the Breeders Cup.

photofinish
Allowance Winner

Postby photofinish » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:03 pm

Shannon wrote:Madelyn, here's my understanding from my own history of sales/breeding...
When you breed a mare, you pay a chute/handling fee, and usually a booking fee ('x' percent of the stud fee). You get a live foal, you pay the remainder of the fee before the foal gets registered (usually before hte stallion owner sneds out the paperowrk to you) You don't get a live foal, you have the option to re-breed, or forfeit your chute fee and booking fee.

From what I gather of the sales from looking at mares, all outstanding fees on a pregnant mare MUST be paid in full before the mare can be consigned, and the stallion owner has to provide proof of that. OR, the seller has to provide vet proof that mare is NOT in foal even though she was covered. If the mare foals post sale, the new owner has to pay the outstanding stud fee in order to register the foal. SOme sales require their own vet to preg check the mares, some will just accept a vet cert.

TBs seldom have a "chute fee" or a "booking fee", unless the farm is used to QH or show horse breeding.