What To Worm With Next

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

LKR
Allowance Winner

What To Worm With Next

Postby LKR » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:12 pm

I wormed our foals 8-15-10 with ivermectin. Wormed mothers at the same time. On the 21st of Sept. while working with a foal, she had a BM that was loaded with adult roundworms. I about fainted. I immediately wormed her and the other nine babies and their mothers with pyrantel pamoate. I had just received it the day before. Talk about good timing. Anyway, every foal passed large amounts of adult round worms. I talked to the company about the ivermectin and they said that the worms passed were the immature ones the ivermectin will not get when used. That doesn't sound right to me. They shouldn't have had that much of an infestation of adults. I had wormed them with ivermectin previous to the August 15th date. Since they are all 4-5 months old, surely they wouldn't have a resistance to the ivermectin would they??? The vet recommended following up with another dose of ivermectin. I am stumped as to what to do. They all have never been off feed, and other than their baby hair not slipping as fast as I thought it should, that was the only indication that all was not right. I have had fecal samples done in the past and have always had good results from them.
Kathie King
Little King Ranch
Home Of Top Account
Basket Weave
And The Buzz Horses

K~2
Starters Handicap

Postby K~2 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:49 pm

Ivermectin isn't very effective against ascarids (roundworms akaP. equorum)

Adult horses do develop resistance to infestation as they get older, and you don't often see roundworms in adult horses.

I found this article just the other day about and bookmarked it. It's worth a read.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2751844/
Legal Jousting (Indian Ridge X In Anticipation - Sadler's Wells) standing at Kingsgate Stud

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:56 pm

I double dose every month in rotation with the foals starting at one month old. Its not the horses that get the resistance, its the worms. I would do a double dose by weight of panacur.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:41 pm

There is a five day double dose routeen for Panacur and/or safeguard.

I used it last year and it worked; however, this year I'm going to use panacur in suspension.. It's less costly and easier to administer..

Be careful as a friend of mine lost a very nice 5 month old Not For Love filly hast year when she was wormed with a combo Ivermectin + Praziquantel and the dead tape worms impacted her gut which ruptured. Panacur and safeguard do nothing to tape worms and neither does ivermectin

The filly was taken to New Bolton and the artopsy was done at New Bolton.
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:00 pm

Double dose of pyrantel pamoate gets the tapes..
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:46 pm

With young horses (18 months and younger) you should always double the dose when using fenbendazole (it is effective for ascarids). I would definitely deworm with a fenbendazole product for your next rotation. We have to stick primarily with pyrental pamaote and fenbendazole here with our foals as there is resistance to ivermectin and moxidectin products - unfortunately this is very common in the area. I spoke to a farm manager in KY who told me that they have the oposite problem. I like to treat the weaned foals with a "power pack" or five consecutive days at double the dose of fenbendazole to effectively treat ascarid infections.
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:50 pm

both Pyrantel pamoate double dose and praziquantel single does will kill tape worms.. the trick is not to kill so many that they impact the weanlings gut and kill him..

the real trick is not to let your foals become infested with tape worms to the extent killing them is a threat to the foal but as stated above my friend lost a Not For love filly last year because of a mass of tape worms impacting her gut, and he thought he had done every thing correctly; i.e., the aurtopsy did not report finding any round worms..

I use pancur in suspecsion double dose but again that does nothing for tape worms.. I think what I'm going to do is do a single dose of pyrantel pamoate to kill some of the tape worms and folllow that with a Ivermectin/Praziquantel to finish the job.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]