Upward Patellar Fixation in Yearling

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Hot Tamali
Newborn

Upward Patellar Fixation in Yearling

Postby Hot Tamali » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:04 am

Looking for advice on people's experience with Upward Patellar Fixation (UPF) where the stifle(s) can temporarily and/or partially lock. We're thinking that this tall (close to 16hh) yearling filly should be outside 24/7 but the stable where she is boarded doesn't offer that option. She is not lame/sore once she steps out of the fixation. It's mostly only a problem in the mornings, coming out of her stall. What have others done (if anything) to treat this condition and what outcomes have been seen?
Thanks!

TJ
Darley line

Re: Upward Patellar Fixation in Yearling

Postby TJ » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:25 am

Hot Tamali wrote:Looking for advice on people's experience with Upward Patellar Fixation (UPF) where the stifle(s) can temporarily and/or partially lock. We're thinking that this tall (close to 16hh) yearling filly should be outside 24/7 but the stable where she is boarded doesn't offer that option. She is not lame/sore once she steps out of the fixation. It's mostly only a problem in the mornings, coming out of her stall. What have others done (if anything) to treat this condition and what outcomes have been seen?
Thanks!

Hi Hot,
You can go many ways with this ailment short of operating.....but the object is to tighten the ligaments (stifle and patella ligaments) and muscles so the patella ligament no longer catches on the ridge of the femur. It can be done with something as simple as conditioning....especially trotting going up hill. Internal Blistering is sometimes helpful, some use hormone injections. If all else fails an operation is needed consisting of cutting the patella ligament which is catching on the inner leg.....but this operation can be iffy. This isn't that uncommon and I'm sure your Vet would be able to advise you in treatment....but don't wait too long given her size, it will only get worse. TJ

valjoe
Allowance Winner

Postby valjoe » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:43 pm

I agree with TJ i had a horse like that and I've seen it a lot, it usually will resolve with time and conditioning. jogging is best.

gufman4
Weanling

Postby gufman4 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:36 pm

you may also try a internal blister - check with your vet. I had a T-Run gelding that would drag his right hind a bit. the blister helped. we worked him in deep sand and jogged and jogged, but in the end being 17.3 hh he was just too big.