Anyone using Purina products for Pregnant mares? other brand

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Postby wgc517 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Anyone using Purina products for pregnanat mares? if so which one and why?

Also, what are your thoughts on Sweet feed vs pellets or vice versa?

Do you have another brand you feel might be better?

thanks

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:30 pm

I LOVE Nutrena Safe Choice. It's awesome for any horse, I fed my racehorses on it and triumph and both looked great and carrieed weight.

My opinion, stay FAR away from anything made by TizWiz.

We can't get Purina, but I have worked at a couple barns who hauled it in by the trialer load they liked it so much! Not sure which one it was though.
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

Lisann
Allowance Winner

Postby Lisann » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:40 am

I feed Kent's Dynasty Jr. It's a pelleted feed. I have fed their sweet feed, Granolene Mare & Foal, in the past. I like both - appreciate that the formula is locked.

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:40 pm

Lisann wrote:I feed Kent's Dynasty Jr. It's a pelleted feed. I have fed their sweet feed, Granolene Mare & Foal, in the past. I like both - appreciate that the formula is locked.

Exactly. I will not do business with a company that does not use a fixed formula therefore you couldn't give me a purina product.

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Postby wgc517 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:56 pm

Hi Laurie,

Can you help me understand what a fixed formula is?
Does it have to do with Sweet vs Pelleted?

Are you saying that you don't think Purina has good products?

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:45 pm

No I don't think Purina is a good brand and no I won't use it. They do have a couple of products with a fixed formula but I couldn't tell you which ones off the top of my head. I wouldn't use that product anyway if for no other reason that spite.
Not having a fixed formula means they only guarantee the analysis, not the ingredients. So basically they say this particular bag of feed will contain X amount of protein, X amount of fat, X amount of fiber etc. But they will use whatever ingredients are cheapest at the time to arrive at those guaranteed numbers so the actual grains you are feeding every week could be significantly different. How many times have we been told to make feed changes gradually? Without a fixed formula you don't even know you are making a change.