Corrective Trimming Causing Laminitis?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Supernova
Maiden Special Weight

Corrective Trimming Causing Laminitis?

Postby Supernova » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:10 am

Okay maybe I'm jumping the gun here, but I'm really concerned about my filly. I think I will end up calling out the vet later today but I just wanted to try here as well.

I have an eight month old filly who starting getting a club foot on her left front. We started corrective trimming right away and had both of her toes built up with some sort of "Equilox" stuff. We have been only trimming her heel since weekly or bi-weekly.

It is coming along slowly, her toe is beginning to grow out which is a good sign and her heel has dropped slightly. I went in to see her last night (I don't get up to see her very often) and her hoof is "on fire". I'm not sure when this started because I have not seen her for about a month but I'm really worried.

The ground has been snow covered for several weeks, not really hard, and all stones are pretty much covered up. I'm doubting abscess or bruise, and even if it was I have never felt a hoof that hot for those causes.

Anyone have experience?

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:34 am

may be something got up the foot under the equilox built-up...And you should get more infos on club foot,sometimes not a good idea to force it...
And lots of other factors can provoke heat in foot besides founder attack.
And you have not seen that horse in a month?Who oversees the operation,surely any decent farm would check on the horses,especially growing foals with therapeutic treatment,every single day...If not get that horse somewhere decent now.
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:35 pm

whole hoof heat could possibly be an infection. i am without laminitis experience. also know little(nothing) about corrective shoeing although my intuition would be to make very small incremental changes. bute/banamine/tetnus or penicillin I'd think, quick treatment necessary if you have whole hoof heat. if localized need diagnostics--lay person answer.
p.s. am taking it that this is considerable injury type heat. If it's lesser, might it be hoof heat in response to cold? i.e. check other hoofs!
Last edited by ratherrapid on Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:41 pm

Is she lame? Is she eating? Is her heart rate and respiration rate normal? If these things are all within normal limits I would wait before calling the vet out this evening. I would soak her foot in some warm water with epsom salts then pack her foot with bowie mud, poultice, animalintex or icthamol - something that will draw whatever's in the foot out, be it infection or a foreign body. You can wrap with duct tape over a vetwrap, and old cold water bandage or use a diaper. I would do the whole foot, sides included, not just the plantar area. Then I would wrap it up high around the foot.

I also second RRs thought of Bute & antibiotics, possibly banamine and definitely a tetanus shot if she hasnt had a tetanus shot already. If this doesnt help somewhat then get the vet out tomorrow.

Best of luck.
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

Supernova
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Supernova » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Smells a little like thrush, although you can't really see anything so we are going to treat for thrush and see if it improves. The "crevices" beside the frog are deeper than on her other hoof so we are thinking maybe it is further up? She might be a tiny bit "off" but not really lame. Everything else seems normal except for the hot foot. We have been working with a vet for the corrective trimming.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:01 pm

Well it could be white line disease..
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:56 pm

diagnosis would consist of visual inspection for any punctures or other sole tears or perforations, then removal of equilox to check for degradation and possible infection there; then hoof testers to check for specific sore spots. what you have described is probably an infection in the laminae. could be nothing, could cost a horse if left untreated. would question the thrush diagnosis unless there is actual crease into sensative laminae. need rule out possible abscess or excessive widespread bruising. may need vet or farrier if inexperienced. more on-line help at www.horseshoes.com. best of luck!

seahorse
Maiden Special Weight

re: feet

Postby seahorse » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:02 pm

http://www.nanric.com/Howtotreatclubfeet.asp

There are plenty of articles written about club feet,
Look them up on the internet !!!