Healing blanbket rubs

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Healing blanbket rubs

Postby Shannon » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:27 pm

We have had winter for what seems like FOREVER! My gelding has never had to wear a blanket 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for this long before.
He has some nasty rubs on both shoulders, and the only horse I have ever seen to get rubs on his forearms from the bottom of the blanket.
I can't unblanket him yet (still getting minus 20 daily, blowing and snow), he lives outside.
Any ideas how I can help these ugly patches start to repair before he sheds out in spring and goes blanketless?
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

drewsbadboy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby drewsbadboy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:52 pm

Have you tried to use a slinky hood or a liner under his blanket? I have one gelding that will get blanket rubs unless he wears one of those slinky liners. Our guys are having to wear blankets more than last year too. Wish spring would just get here already! :D

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:48 am

I just bought him a slinky, never had to use one before. I seems to be helping the shoulders, but the legs are still getting rubbed...I have a feeling I'm just going to have to deal with it once the blanket comes off.
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:52 pm

Could you sew some fleece on the blanket where it rubs him? Make some fleece tubes for the straps and such?

It also could be an issue with the fit and/or cut of that particular blanket....
Last edited by madelyn on Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:24 pm

Weather has FINALLY broken and we are seeing single digit minus temps. Never thought I'd cheer for minus 9, but it feels SO nice! Horse is now naked, supposed to stay nice for 2 weeks, hope that means spring is gonna come to the great white north!
On a side note, the slinky gave him big swellings on both sides and over the back just behind his wither. I can't win!

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:35 pm

slinkies are HORRID things! They truly cause more problems than they cure ...

I have a product called Bossys Bibs that are fabulous:

www.bossysbibs.com

They will allow existing rubs to heal and will prevent any new ones from forming

CHeck out this thread:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showt ... p?t=288675

for the comments from people that have been using them and also for the pictures I posted of the beginning to 4 weeks after wearing a Bossy Bib, that a client had sent to me

Let me know if I can assist at all ... :)
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:36 pm

spray Show-Sheen on their shoulders and it will help..

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:53 pm

True, those bibs look great! How much and how do I get a couple! He gets rubs from his fly sheet also in summer :(

I have him naked, and rubbing MTG on the rubs to help the hair grow back. Weather is supposed to continue to improve so hoping he will be blanketless for a few months until fly and mosquitoe season starts :roll:

Crystal, I used Laser Sheen, but got at it too late. I was using cornstarch baby powder, which helped some but I couldn't do it every day so it didn't last.

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:53 pm

Shannon - email me - [email protected] and I can give you the information. One bib is CAD $59.95 including cost, hst and shipping but with you being in AB, they would be $55.95 with just gst in there ...
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:05 am

I have found that Armor-all lasts longer than Laser Sheen
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....