No Vet Bills For Curlin

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

No Vet Bills For Curlin

Postby Shammy Davis » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:34 am

I was listening to an interview on HRTV with George Bolton who currently is one of the partners owning THE FACTOR. He was speaking about CURLIN, as he is a partner w/the Jacksons, and said one of the most amazing things about him is that he never had one Vet bill related to his care while he was racing. I think that is absolutely amazing.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:56 am

That pricks my ears up. Show me more stallions like that.
That's all I'm gonna say for fear of starting another war!! :wink:
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:15 am

Yeah he never got the Vet bill the Jackson paid it.

Did you see the ass on Curlin, Beyonce doen't have one as big.

More steroids went into that horse than an Olympic 100m runner.
Edited by Moderator

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:05 pm

I call BULLSHIT b/c I have pictures of him I took at lanes end and he was pin fired!

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:16 pm

Is it possible he was pin fired previous to Bolton's ownership? Or maybe after his racing career ended? I was surprised by the statement too, but what sense does it make to lie about the expenses involved with CURLIN. I hate to think that Dublino is on to something, but maybe the Jackson's paid the bills and he didn't know.

Crystal, can you post the pictures of the legs?
Last edited by Shammy Davis on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:29 pm

lmao about his butt are you implying Beyonce used steroids??bwahaha . And I am mad because my vet is apparently ripping me off when he could do Lasix for free??!!?? Curlin ran on that and unless you tell me he had his own attending physician then that is a vet cost. Not to mention I don't think Steve Assmussen has a horse that raced or races drug free.... or has other vet procedures done (rays sounds tests etc etc etc).

I think the truth of the matter is the dude simply never had to pay for vet costs in the partnership.
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:42 pm

I definitely thought it was a very interesting comment. As farrier and horseman for over 40 years, I've found that working horses always have a trail of Vet bills. That being said, George Bolton did make the comment when asked what was the most outstanding thing that he could remember about CURLIN.

As far as Vet bills go, if I were placing a horse with a trainer, I'd want to know what the exact annual vet and farrier billing per horse in the barn. If the trainer won't give me that information or I see he/she is giving carte blanche to the Vet, I'd be moving to interview the next trainer on the list. The costs of keeping a horse in any kind of training is through the roof already.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:48 pm

curlin shots

http://twitpic.com/1q2g67

http://twitpic.com/1q2fx5 (body shot, not too much of a glimpse of the pin firing marks, but if you blow it up I'm sure you can see)

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:48 am

Crystal: Definitely looks like pin firing to me. You have to wonder what Bolton was thinking when he made the comment. His parents were very active horsepeople in MD and VA. He has been around horses since he was a child. He roomed with Bill Farish in college and his first partnership was with Bill back in the early nineties.

Well, he makes his money as an investment banker. They always paint a rosier picture than the bottom line.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:29 am

Curlin was an animal at the track.. Despite having JJ for an owner he was a beast and a fan favorite. To say an animal that big with such a stellar racing career have No Vet Bills (hence had no soundess issues, health concerns, and alluted to he didnt get anything "extra" to run) is just ignorant.

I didnt really follow Curlin, but still was excitied to see him at Lanes End. I was a little awakend to see pin-fire marks on him b/c to me that showed he (at one time) was beyond everyday sore. He was beyond give him a few days off sore, he was pin fired. He had sore shins, which ment they were pushing him. But IDK when he was PF'd, but most often its around 2 years old, which means it did help and he got past it.

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:28 am

So by that statement, Curlin was NEVER vaccinated for anything, NEVER got his teeth done, NEVER got a shot of bute, banamine, tranq, NEVER had a pre work lasix treatment, NEVER got scoped; a horse such as he NEVER had ANYTHING done...
I find that statement ridiculous. I have NEVER managed to own a horse that I got by with NO vet bills in a year, even my old retired eventer costs me at least $200 a year in vet bills, and she's EASY!

Or maybe his idea of a vet bill varies from the common person's. Maybe he was implying he never received a vet bill for anything other than "standard" procedures? Maybe he classifies all those above things as standard?
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:40 pm

I took it to mean he never had a vet bill for injury or real illness, but who knows what he meant. Of course Curlin had standard procedures.

----Arrested Development

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:03 pm

I agree with Toccet2. I think he was referring to injury or illness. No horse is going to make it to the backstretch barn without be vetted and innoculated.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:13 pm

And it is true that I never heard of Curlin missing any training let alone races due to chips, bows, fractures, etc etc etc that seem to plague everybody else.
Yes those are pinfiring marks . . .but once he started racing? I can't remember any publicized soundness issues.

----Arrested Development

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:50 pm

That would make sense of a statemnt such as that...no UNEXPECTED vet bills.
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!