mud & abcscesses

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

griff
Leading Sire

mud & abcscesses

Postby griff » Sun May 22, 2011 8:00 am

We have a lot of mud in our area and more is forecast.. We also, and my Vet confirmed , are having a rash or outbraek of abscsesses and he said it is mostly due to the mud..

I've researched the issue and one of several causes for abscesses is "bacteria & mositure penetrating the white line"

[1] do you think front shoes would help or hemder this problem; i.e.,shoe nails are very close to the white line

[2] treated the first 2 YO with a boot and diaper soaked with antiseptic which seemd to work w/o an abscess surfacing. than that 2 YO came up lame again and now he seems OK again, still w/o an abscess surfacing

[3] second 2 YO, that was suppose to go in training yesterday came up lame the day before.. we are treating with Ichthammol, diaber and boot.. The Ichthammol is suppose to draw the abscess to the surface where our farrier can finish the job of making sure it has ample drainage ..

Now, my question is what should i do if the second 2 YO also seems to recover w/o an abscess coming to the surface.. Do I put front shoes on him and send him to the starter trainer or do i continue with the Ichthammol until we draw an abscess to the surface?/

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sun May 22, 2011 10:47 am

Hello griff
I wouldn't put shoes on a horse that isn't 100 percent and send him or her off to the trainer in HOPES that he or she will not be lame.
You have to know for sure --- or else kiss your hard earned money good bye.
Did you do an xray to see if there wasn't anything else that you haven't caught?
Continue to draw out the problem.
But why a diapher? Why not just gauze-- I use gauze and duct tape - once a day changing it and get a concrete pad so there is a dry area to put your horse on it.
Mud and snow and water is SO SO common right now all around the U.S. just be glad your not in La or Mississippi.
K

griff
Leading Sire

abscess & mud

Postby griff » Sun May 22, 2011 12:48 pm

Thanks

we use diapers because [the vet recommended diapers because they absorb a lot of stuff and a soaked diabler will continue to medicate for a long time, if you can keep it on,

these 2 2 YOs are at a farm with no concrete and all wee have are run in sheds and even the run in sheds are ankle deep in mud.. Not a good situation..

griff

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Sun May 22, 2011 10:25 pm

Griff,

Don't know if it is practical, but can you bring in a load of shavings? Dump them in a corner someplace where the 2 year olds stand. Not a perfect solution, but might get them off the mud.

Shammy would the the person to ask about the feet.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon May 23, 2011 5:38 am

I believe shoes might do more harm than good since deep mud can pull a shoe out tearing chunks of hoof off with it. I think letting the horse keep some toe can be a good thing in mud.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon May 23, 2011 7:02 am

thanks for the inputs. looks like ur solution is [1] no shoes until he is healed and at the trainer, [2] move to a pasture with no mud but also no run-in shed.. But also no mud YET. Don't think they really need a shed in this kind of weather anyway. [3] stay with the Ichthammal and change the bandage every orther day or as required.

First 2 YO to go lame is still OK even though no abscess ever came to the surface.. He's a late 2 YO and will not go to the starter trainer until Sept and we will keep an eye on him to make sure he stays sound

thanks again.

griff

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon May 23, 2011 7:55 am

If you have isolated the void where the abscess is/was you can sluice it with betadine using a syringe and a lot of force. Keep the foot clean and dry and give the betadine at least 10 minutes to kill the bacteria. Then pack the void with dry table sugar. Put a thick cotton pad on the bottom of the foot, cut to fit, and duct tape that around the bottom on the outer wall of the hoof. Then put on a boot or wrap as usual. The sugar will draw. When there is NO odor and NO color in the sugar, you can fill the void with hoof epoxy.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Mon May 23, 2011 11:00 am

Madelyn
You are so right I totally forgot. Betadine and sugar pulls out anything.
I had to use it on my riding 2 year old when a piece of tin slashed right through him.
IT WORKS WELL.
GRIFF--------- BETADINE AND SUGAR ---------------------

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon May 23, 2011 6:53 pm

and I had forgotten about the sugar

thanks Madelyn

griff

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon May 23, 2011 6:57 pm

How soon do you think it will be before the gelding can go into starter training once we get the anscess clean and packed with hoof epoxie.

griff

ireneinwa
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby ireneinwa » Tue May 24, 2011 11:42 pm

Ive been lucky and havent had an in a few years, but my solution

1. warm water
2. epsom salt
3. bucket

soak twice a day for 30 minutes

1. mixiodine and epsom salt and make thick paste.
2. pack in hoof and wrap.

your problem will be solved within week if it's an abcess
~There's a ballerina in every great athlete~

ireneinwa
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby ireneinwa » Tue May 24, 2011 11:43 pm

And bute to keep them walking on it if tender.
~There's a ballerina in every great athlete~

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Wed May 25, 2011 6:35 pm

epsom salt unnecessary anymore. epsom salt paste's the thing! and boot after you've located. Epsom salt in boot, check every 24 hrs. should be gone in 48 hrs. if linger, have to get aggressive with hoof knife.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu May 26, 2011 8:57 am

abscess opened yesterday and a stream of black stuff gushed out when my partner finshed opening it. Flushed with betadine and repacked echthimmol.. Farrier will be there Saturday morning to finsh,

Told partner about flushing with batadine and packing with sugar. he will consult with farrier who is mostly trail and endurance horse farrier.

thanks for your inputs

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Sat May 28, 2011 6:25 am

Another little trick when soaking with epsom salts is to add a cup of 35% peroxide. You get it at health food stores. It is in a white plastic bottle and is stronger than the 3% you buy at the drug store or supermarket.
That stuff really helps bring an abscess to a head. It kills the bacteria in the pocket like no tomorrow. Glad it finally broke loose for you. Now Everyone will feel better. :wink:
Kathie King
Little King Ranch
Home Of Top Account
Basket Weave
And The Buzz Horses