Recommend a safe Feed through for fly control for Broodmares

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Recommend a safe Feed through for fly control for Broodmares

Postby wgc517 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:01 am

Can anyone recommend a feed through for fly controls that is safe for pregnant mares.

I have been looking at Solitude IGR and wondering if anyone has used it in pregnant mares and if it is a good product. I have looked at their website but I want to hear from some real horse people. Any other suggestions.

thanks in advance.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:56 pm

I once lived on 5 acres in an incorporated town and I was allowed to have horses as long as no neighbors complained..

I knew the kee was to keep the flys at a absolute minimum and ordered fly preditor egss from a company in Califorina.. The eggs arrived once a month and the minium order was at least twice what was recommended for my two mares and two foals..

Sprinkling those eggs around the 5 acres once a month was like turniing 50 foxes loose every month in a 5 acre woods in an effort to keep the rabbit population in check..

There were no house flys w/i blocks of my house..

This does not work with bitting flys but then I don't think the pass throughh stuff does either

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:34 pm

There used to be a couple of products made from milled diatoms. The idea was that the milling process exposed the microscopic skeletons inside. These in turn would slit the waxy that insects use to keep from dehydrating. Bugs come up against this stuff, nick their wax coat, and dehydrate. Supposedly safe for all mammals--, and safe to feed. Ends up in the manure, attracts bugs and no more bugs. Has the advantage of working by physics not poison, so the bugs don't develop resistance.

Have no direct experience with this, but might be something to look at.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:31 am

SmartPac equine has a comparison chart on fly control productes. Recieved it this afternoon

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]