Prepping Yearlings

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

madelyn

Prepping Yearlings

Postby madelyn » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:22 am

This year I got a jump on the yearlings - brought them into the barn in mid-May. They were woolly mammoths having lived out since 3 months of age. We started with Quest wormer and spent time getting them reaccustomed to haltering, leading in and out, partial daily turnout, grooming and bathing. I started them on grain slowly (they had grain daily on full turnout but not a lot) and now they are looking firm and sleek. I am starting them this week on beet pulp in addition to a standard 12% Select from Southern States, and bought them a bag of Legends Omega Plus to add fat. This is an interesting product - 25% fat in a pellet form. Black Oil Sunflower seeds are actually more expensive now than Omega Plus, and the OP has more in it than just the 25% fat. The bag is a 20 day supply so I am taking pics today and will take weekly pics to better evaluate the results. For some reason, I can see that much better in pics than in person...

They will also start "work" tomorrow, starting with 1/4 mile walk per day moving up to ponying a mile with some jogging.

The smallest one is 15h (a June 3 filly) right now so I think living out was the right move. You should see the legs on these!

I am open to ideas - most specifically need suggestions on how to deal with a geyser mane..
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:05 am

have you ever had a problem using Quest on yearlings??

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:35 am

With our horses we have stopped the worming rotation and are doing the fecal tests. We have yet to have to worm them in 2 years. I would suggest having a vet do the fecal and simply give them what they need.

Sounds like a solid program to me

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:38 am

Thanks - but quite a few of the nastiest parasites don't "detect" in fecals. I know these guys were exposed to strongyles and stuff and the encysted ones are the ones TARGETED by Quest that won't show in a fecal. No problem with Quest, just make SURE you get the dosage right, and don't use it on anything that is skinny. It stores in the fat tissue and releases over time. For me, one of the "tells" for parasites is how well the winter coat releases. If they hang onto it, or have those long hairs here and there, then they usually have parasites.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:18 pm

fecal samples are really simple to do on your own to help monitor shedding parasites.. You need a sample, something to put it in with sterile water.. something to chop it up a bit. Stick it on a slide, add a drop of dye, cover and put under any kids microscope..

I know this because only I would have done a FFA project testing dewormers in High school. My horse friends were impressed, teacher thought I should have grown flowers or beans or something. (like others).

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:49 am

I would be very very suspect of any fecal testing that did not turn up any worms in two years.
o a skinny yearling you certainly should not administer it t

Madelyn.. If the quest is stored in fat does that mean I should not use quest on an open mare that is scheduled to be bred, in how many months?

Gave a tube of quest to an open mare that is usually a very easy breeder and it took her four covers to settle. Quest was probly not the problem but "any port in a storm"

I guess if you do not administer quest to one that shows evidence of worms; i.e., long coat that keeps hanging on???

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]