tapping

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

tapping

Postby mightyhijames » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:57 pm

can someone please thr process for tapping joints - possible side effects, how many times it can/should not be done, etc? what is the difference betwen red acid, HA, cortisone? i understand that cortisone is what causes degeneration of the cartlidge and joint? thanks.

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Postby mightyhijames » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:35 am

no comments? is this a taboo subject?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:43 am

Tapping is the process of drawing excess fluid out of a joint. Typically, in my personal experience, the excess fluid is the result of some other problem, and is, not itself, the actual problem. Cortisone is used in joint injections, as is HA, etc. This is not tapping.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Roger
Grade I Winner

Postby Roger » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:22 pm

One of the biggest problems with tapping is the chance for getting a joint capsule infection.
Loving God, Loving People and Serving = Peace and Happiness
Try it you will like it.

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:49 am

Tapping is a slang term for joint injections. When done by a competent practitioner using a surgical scrub there is little chance of infection. The main problem is cartilage destruction from too much cortisone. Hylauronic acid or adequan are better choices for the horse's long term soundness but don't give the relatively instant soundness results that you get from using cortisone.