I wonder how this happened?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

madelyn

I wonder how this happened?

Postby madelyn » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:08 am

Every year or two, a nice TB stallion dies shuttling. While this horse was not a TB, I would be very interested in knowing the results of his autopsy
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manh ... fwsuZ12XIP

If the confines of a flight box are too much for an 8 or 9 hour flight, what about a standing stall on a horse trailer??
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:36 pm

Kicking violently, then calming abruptly...sounds like a colic to me.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:40 pm

this was a yearling too, but I will be quick and say heart attack. Some just cant handle flying. Others don't care. I know consignors that fly their yearlings to saratoga from ky for the sale and have never had an issue. Then again we had a mare freak the hell out in her container at the airport on her way to India and had to come back to the farm.

Better it happen on the ground and have to come back to the farm then have to be put down on the plane.. They can only tranq so much before the decision is made that they are becoming dangerous.

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:28 pm

Do they not have a way to monitar them in flight? What is the most common air line that ships horses world wide.........just wondering?

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:33 pm

Fed-Ex.. no joke. People are in the cargo hold with them, but calming down any sized horse I'm sure would be tricky.

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:42 pm

Are they not allowed to be sedated at all? Just seems very odd for this horse to die. Is this the first case ever, with any company?

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:18 pm

my vet's assistant used to work in a receiving facility on the West coast. She mentioned in passing that many of these horses get extremely stressed on the trip. A wonder that the Euros do so well on BCup day!

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:10 am

Recently on the National Geographic channel they did a show on this very topic. It was titled ANIMAL MEGA MOVERS. As I recall the horses were shipped from Newcastle, UK to Hong Kong. The horses were TB racehorses. It shows the prepping and veterinary care at Newcastle and the departure airport. How the stalls are made. How the horses are loaded and the configuratioon in the aircraft. Inflight care and management is shown. And the quarantine measures prior to departure and upon arrival. The trip was uneventful but they did go over what they would do if a horse(s) became fractious.

On Dish TV, NATGEO is channel 190.

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:39 am

I used to ship horses a LOT in my freight and logistics career. You do NOT - ever - tranq horses for a flight. At the higher altitudes it can have the opposite effect and make them go over the edge

The accredited and trained attendants have euthanasia kits that they carry with them that they will use if the horse starts to act up. If they start kicking in their stalls and break through, the fuselage of the aircraft is very close by and they cannot and will not risk having them make contact with it. As well - if they act up and start the other horses acting up, it can go catastrophic very very quickly not only for the horses but for the humans on board the aircraft as well

Most horses handle the confinement well. They handle being lifted up into the sky well to be loaded and unloaded. Its the change in atmospheric pressure and take offs and landing that usually do them in, unfortunately :(
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:25 pm

True Colors wrote:
I used to ship horses a LOT in my freight and logistics career. You do NOT - ever - tranq horses for a flight. At the higher altitudes it can have the opposite effect and make them go over the edge

Thanks for that information. I don't suppose that I'll ever have enough $$ to ship by air, but I'll at least I'll understand this important side of it.