Soundhorse Glue on Shoes

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Howch664
Weanling

Soundhorse Glue on Shoes

Postby Howch664 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:07 pm

I have recently run into problems with poor farrier work and crumbly hooves. Which has left my gelding without a hoof wall on his one foot, making it very difficult to keep him shod. Has anyone used these http://www.soundhorse.com/seriesiiihorseshoes.htm ? There is a local vet here who handles them and swears by them, but of course he is also trying to sell them.

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:14 pm

I have used them many times. If they weren't so expensive I would use them on all my horses.

Howch664
Weanling

Postby Howch664 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:42 am

Did you find any difference in your horses when compared to regular shoes? How long did they last between re-sets? Did your farrier apply them?

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:13 am

The horses tend to be much more comfortable immediately. If you don't turn them out in mud they usually last until time for them to be reshod. Yes, my farrier put them on. It can be tricky this time of year as the glue sets up super quick when it is hot out. You definitely need someone who is used to the product.

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:56 pm

to OP--i am other than a fan of glue ons. most competent farriers can nail on a shoe even if part of the wall is broken. problem with glue ons for extended use is that the glue will weaken the hoof wall--glue prevents the normal contraction expansion of the wall, and keeps out moisture. depends a little on the use of the horse. in my book, if you absolutely have too little wall to nail, its preferable to use equilox to build up the wall at the site. the equilox will hold your nails--minor repair job, and you're good to go.