Specs For A Feed Trailer

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

LKR
Allowance Winner

Specs For A Feed Trailer

Postby LKR » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:29 am

We feed with a small utility trailer that you can buy at any of the Ranch and Home or Big R stores. It is woefully inadequate and inconvenient. I want to have one built that has the features I need. A compartment on the front end with divided areas to put grain, hold supplements, etc. It needs to be wide enough to hold hay bales, that is a problem with these small utility trailers, they aren't wide enough or long enough. I can get a couple bales in them with the ends sticking out, then when I cut the bales and start to feed, the remainder of the bale slips down and it gets hard to feed it, unless I have a few leaves underneath it to keep it up where I can get at it. Then those leaves end up being fines so are not ideal to feed.
Anyone got one they will share the ideas behind it???
Kathie King
Little King Ranch
Home Of Top Account
Basket Weave
And The Buzz Horses

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:05 am

Is everyone rich and boards out their horses? No one feeds their own with a trailer?? :cry:
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:19 pm

What type of trailer are you looking for? Open? Flat? Enclosed? Single or Double axle? Axle clearance? Length? Weight capacity? Tractor pull? Truck pull? Both? Tag along? Steel? Aluminum? What do you want to spend? Are you feeding both hay and meals out of the trailer? Do you store feed in the trailer between uses? Square or round bales? I know I've seen trailer specifications and plans on a couple of extension websites, but as I recall they were single purpose trailers. When I'm looking for something that I plan on building, I go to google. Try typing in HOMEMADE FARM TRAILER SPECIFICATIONS AND PLANS and see what pops up.

Here's one that popped up for me.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/17168644/Farm-Wagon-Plan

Here another good link that has all kinds of plans, but only one plan for wagons. Not what you are looking for. It is a garden wagon.

http://bioengr.ag.utk.edu/extension/ext ... cellaneous Plans

Check out some of the ag school extension websites.

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:49 am

I want to pull it behind my ATV Honda Rancher. I want to be able to put about 4 bales of alfalfa on it, (around 400lbs) have a box in the front with dividers for grain and supplements (around 200lbs). Something that could haul about 750-1000 lbs. I just wondered what others are using to feed with. Thanks for the reply lShammy.
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:01 am

I run around on the tractor pulling my general purpose cart; I put the hay in the bucket of the tractor and have the grain premeasured in buckets in the cart. It sounds like you want something fairly specialized - you could get a flatbed and start from there and just bolt stuff to it.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:03 pm

That's what I am going to do. Thanks everyone.
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses