Omeprazole

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:45 pm

kimberley mine wrote:Laurie, do you have to have a prescription to buy it from the Indian pharmacy? Or could you buy a therapeutic dose in advance?

It seems strange that you would need a prescription for a horse, when theoretically (and expensively) you could just buy human omaprazole aka prilosec over the counter.

No, the omeprazole direct stuff is not a prescription product. They way prilosec would work is if you could get the horse to swallow the tablets intact so it didn't damage the enteric coating.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:29 am

All the omeprazole I've ever used came in a tube

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:06 pm

And if it was compounded it was useless. If the horse seemed to get better that was due to the bismuth that you can buy for about $10 per gallon.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:31 pm

Wow!

Have you looked at KER's RiteTrac??

It's suppose to take care of both stomach and hind end ulcers.

griff

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:50 pm

I'm somewhat confused. As Griff commented, I've only seen Gastroguard and Ulcerguard in paste form.

http://equimed.com/drugs-and-medication ... omeprazole

Ranitidine is the only medication I've seen given in pill form. So what with the "coating" stuff? I've checked various sources and nothing has come up with omeprazole for horses in tablet or bolus form.

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:08 pm

The omeprazole in gastrogard and ulcergard is microencapsulated in the paste. Think millions of tiny pills within the paste. Those tiny pills have an enteric coating that keeps it from being broken down in the stomach. That is the secret to it's success. The omeprazole direct also has an enteric coating.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:28 am

I though that omeprozole, including gastroguard and utragard worked by inhibiting the production of gastric acid in the stomach..

How does it do this if it is coated and can not break down in the stomach?

Also, while I can understand the argument that too much gastric acid may cause or irritate ulcers seems like stopping all, or stopping too much gastric acid production would eventually cause nutritional problems ???

griff

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:15 am

Gastric acid is necessary for digestion. It is what breaks down the food and allows the horse to extract calories and nutrients.

Ulcers are caused by over-production of gastric acid and/or acid in an empty stomach. One of the best things for the empty stomach is to keep vast quantities of free choice food - timothy or grass hay is ideal. Care should be taken in using omeprazole since it inihibits the production of gastric acid and it can reach a point where the horse's ability to digest its food can be compromised. Fenbendazole works as an alkaline to offset the acid - kind of like Tums. You can also feed peppermint antacids in with the grain.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:19 am

I think Panacur and Safegard are fenbandozol ???

if so, Safegard in suspension might be a cost effective way to control or treat ulcers???

griff

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:10 am

griff wrote:I though that omeprozole, including gastroguard and utragard worked by inhibiting the production of gastric acid in the stomach..

Also, while I can understand the argument that too much gastric acid may cause or irritate ulcers seems like stopping all, or stopping too much gastric acid production would eventually cause nutritional problems ???

griff

You want it to get absorbed into the bloodstream, not digested in the stomach.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:24 pm

griff wrote:I though that omeprozole, including gastroguard and utragard worked by inhibiting the production of gastric acid in the stomach..

griff

To expand on what Laurie said:

Omeprazole is acid-sensitive. If it goes into the stomach (compounded form, no coating), it will be broken down in the stomach acid = none in the bloodstream. The coating on the gastroguard form is designed to withstand the stomach acid and be absorbed by the small intestine. Once in the bloodstream, it works to turn off the acid pumps.

Stopping ALL gastric acid production would cause nutritional problems by having food not well-broken down going into the hindgut.

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:28 am

I started this thread because I see a large disparity in cost between the human and equine omeprazole, but the information about coating is very interesting.

All of our horses are OTTB's and everyone of them have had ulcers. Truthfully the expense of omeprazole has pushed me to a feeding schedule and program as Madelyn suggests in her post even though it can take a great deal of time to resolve the problem.

http://www.ker.com/library/advances/310.pdf

The high costs of veterinary care is becoming prohibitive. All research on this topic suggests that 90% of all racehorses suffer with ulcers. 65% of all competition horses (other disciplines) suffer with ulcers. I've even heard that 54% of all foals suffer with ulcers. Patents, globally, on omeprazole began to expire in 1999. I take generic prescription omeprazole personally and I can get a 90 day supply from a discount pharmacy like Rite Aid or Walmart for $9.00. The suggested retail price for one daily dose of Ulcerguard is $9.75 but you are unlikely to get it for that.

Simply my point is that the majority of horse owners make less than $75K annually (2000 report so its probably less) and they are unable to meet the high cost of equine prescription medications. In the end, it is the horse, particularly the racehorse, that suffers because many good medications are out of reach for a vast majority of horse owners, regardless of discipline. Once a horse leaves the track, the new owner is faced with many health maintenance problems and IMO ulcers are highest on the list.

High prices on equine medications are really "encouraging" the abundance of "unwanted horses." In cooperation with this is the extraordinarily high prices of feed and the recent of emergence of high unemployment and stagnant salaries.

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:40 am

You can get a dose of ulcergard for way less that $9.75. Entirelypets has it for around $28 per tube which is $7 per dose. That is for prevention only however. You would have to give the whole tube to treat.
Stomach soother, U-7 and aloe juice can be good alternatives or you can try the omeprazole direct if you have the time. Free choice hay or grazing is your best chance at keeping the problem away.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:06 pm

omeprazole is $13 a tube at Abba Vet

Abba vet also sells ulcergard and gastrouard

And Safeguard in suspension

griff

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:01 pm

Griff the point is the omeprazole at Abba might as well be free because it not only does not work, it can not work. And I have used Brophy for close to 20 years so no bias here.