Yearlings scoped at sales

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Kari
Allowance Winner

Yearlings scoped at sales

Postby Kari » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:19 am

I understand the scoping process, the need for it, etc. etc. at the sales, but this article says that this yearling was scoped 22 times.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... and-prices

(It's in a quote way at the bottom)

From a technician standpoint- really? HOW many times? :shock: Does this really happen, or is there a video of the exam available in the repository?

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:58 am

I find this distressing and am bothered by the fact that often it is the same vet scoping the horse over and over. We had one sell in book 2 that was scoped 11 different times. There will be a scoping report submitted in the repository, however it is understandable that a purchaser may want a second opinion. For the horses sake I hope there will be some changes made, for example a vet from one clinic that has scoped the horse shouldn't have to scope the horse each time for a different client, instead refer to their original report. That's jmo.
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:44 pm

isn't there a way to record the output of the scoping so it only needs to be done once?

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Kari
Allowance Winner

Postby Kari » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:05 pm

Oh, absolutely! It depends on the endoscope, the program used to run it, the resolution of the endoscope picture, etc. etc. With some scopes and programs, you can only save still shots of what you see from the end of the scopes. With other scopes, you can make a digital recording of the whole exam from start to finish, and then go back later on the computer to review the recording and take out frames of interest or pause the recording at points of interest.

I'm sure that every DVM has their own way of "driving around" with the endoscope, but that's why there's a standard for diagnostic quality imaging.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:27 pm

Do the vets get paid for each exam? If so then right there is a reason for multiple exams.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:32 pm

Of course the vet is paid for each exam, each time by a different prospective buyer.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:37 pm

I think if I hAD 22 PROSPECTIVE BUYERS I COUPLD HAVE SOLD THIS HORSE BY NOW

GRIFF
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:14 am

griff, they DID sell the horse. For $1.3 million. It was an auction.

Kari
Allowance Winner

Postby Kari » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:57 am

That's insane. Endoscope exams are not pleasant for the horse. Sedation, even for a short period of time, is not without risk either. Why not do one endoscope exam at the same time the horse is sedated for x-rays and have a video in the repository available for review?

I know the racing side of equine vet med is waaaaay different than the rest, but geez Louise. I've been invited to go to Keenland and work the November sale, but now I'm not sure I can take the culture shock!

freshman
Allowance Winner

Postby freshman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:15 am

It does seem like the industry should set a standard for respiratory endoscopy exams and have sellers place videos on repository for viewing, like radiographs. They can use their own vets to interpret the images. I mean, every horse at keeneland would be glowing in the dark if potential buyers had their own vets xray every horse they were interested in buying! Passing the scope so many times is traumatic to the respiratory system and can/will cause the very damage buyers want to avoid.
"I'll lay me down and bleed a while, and then I'll rise and fight again." Sir Barton

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:02 am

Most yearlings are scoped before the sale, when they are x-rayed, and the report is in the repository. It is baffling to me that so many prospective purchasers want yet another scope.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:25 am

scopes, xrays, heart scans, measurements.. find more ways to make money at the sales.. Maybe just a stand where you hand over your money to a vet would be less painful.

Jean
Allowance Winner

Postby Jean » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:05 am

Vets do not want a horse tranqualized when scoping does tranquing affect results?

Kari
Allowance Winner

Postby Kari » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:51 am

There's a difference between sedation and tranquilization. With sedation, the response to stimuli is reduced, and the reflexes may or may not be slowed. Pain still registers in the brain. With "minor" procedures like this, a sedative is used.

With tranquilization, the animal is unable or reluctant to move. Pain does not always register in the brain. If pain does register in the brain, the animal can't always react to it. You don't want to tranquilize a horse getting scoped because if the horse is tranquilized correctly, you will be holding the whole horse steady during the procedure.

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:25 am

They also try to see if the horse displaces easily by manipulating the flap a little bit. That wouldn't work as well with a tranqed horse. If you were scoping one with a nasal discharge to check for infection you could tranq if necessary for that.