OCD's in stifle

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

oleos93
Allowance Winner

OCD's in stifle

Postby oleos93 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:00 pm

Anyone have experience with an OCD in the stifle? I got a very well bred QH gelding a few months back and just finally tracked down his history. The folks I got him from knew he was rein trained as they where given is NRHA competition paper work. But something happened to him where he never competed. They thought the year they had him it was his hock as the people they got him from thought that too.

He is never lame, runs around all the time and seems to be sound. He is being ridden in the arena regular and has been out on a trail. I took him to use for a pony horse for my young stock because he is so laid back.

After some research I tracked down the ranch that rein trained him. They said he had an OCD on his stifle and left it at that. I guess they where going to put him down but someone managed to have them give him to them. He went through a few hands before I got him. He is only 4 btw and got this OCD at age 2.

Question is has anyone had any experience with a horse bounce back and be able to perform to their last know discipline or at least move on to a newer one?

I think this guy would make an excellent western pleasure show horse for a kid. His sire is a million dollar earner, the stud fee alone was $3900 plus semen shipping. His dame also was a money winner in youth reining.

But I have no experience with that type of injury. I know what an OCD is and have read different out comes, just want some input on someone with experience. Have they used drugs, supplements and I guess how do I now for sure with out re Xraying it? Could the origonal Xray have been wrong?

I wondered too if for the last 2 years 2 different owners thought it was a hock issue how they did not notice it was the stifle unless the stifle looked normal to them.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:07 pm

An OCD isn't an injury it's a developmental issue. There are a lot of factors that come into play to determine how bothered by it a horse is likely to be. Here's a link that explains things pretty well: http://www.acvs.org/AnimalOwners/Health ... Dissecans/

It's also possible for OCDs to appear and disappear as a horse grows and develops. For what it's worth--I'm not a vet, this is just what I've been told--the stifle is probably the worst place (prognosis and treatment-wise) to have one.

We've had 2 yearlings, both of whom had an OCD in a fetlock (found by pre-sale xray at 18 months or so). In both cases, no OCD had been visible on our early xrays (done at 12 months) and in both cases, the horses went on to race successfully without removal or any special treatment. Basically we just ignored the OCDs and went on with what we wanted to do and neither horse was ever bothered by it.

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:17 pm

LB...yes I realize an OCD is not an injury and I should have worded better. The original trainer says the vet's conclusion was due to stress of rein training that is what cause the development. So I use injury loosely and that is how they phrased it.

I did also read that the stifle is the worst place possible. But I also read at a young age, which he was, a 2 year old, that development of bone is the culprit and may or may not "fix" it's self as the horse grows.

I have read some pretty good articles I am just looking for some personal experiences, and yours is great.

I feel experience is a better teacher then a book or article. One that believes in books, which I am not taking anything away from, may have a change of opinion when they can experience something on their own vs. what they may have read.

Just a quick example, most younger new vets cannot palpate a mare for pregnancy to save their life, They read about it and know how to do it, but they rely so much on ultra sound now that they just do not have that feel like an older more experienced vet would that has done it a thousand times and not relied on a book....sorry just an example.

Just saying experience for most gives you a better understanding then reading about it does.

sstacy19
Allowance Winner

Postby sstacy19 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:24 pm

my now 10 year old had a huge OCD in his stifle, we did surgery as a long yearling and he has never taken a lame step since.
"The blood runs hot in the Thoroughbred and the courage runs deep.
In the best of them, pride is limitless. This is their heritage and
they carry it like a banner. What they have, they use."

---C. W. Anderson

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:11 am

sstacy19.......you must have been very happy. When did you find out he had an OCD? How did you know something was wrong?

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:37 am

I had one with OCD in stifle. Had it cleaned out surgically. One month stall rest followed by small paddock then pasture. Hand walked first 30 days. H.A. injections; I believe twice. The horse is still running today at age six with close to 40 starts.
"Politicians should be limited to two terms, one in office and another in jail." Anonymous

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:35 am

Wow I can say I am plesently suprised. Very nice to hear there are some sucess stories. Now were the procedures very expensive and did they need to be done in house?

sstacy19
Allowance Winner

Postby sstacy19 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:59 pm

sorry, missed this.. I noticed he was off in the field as a yearling, I took him to a "lameness expert", who told me after very expensive xrays that it was just growing pains and he would be fine, but that I needed to start lunging him. I didn't like the answer but I went with it or a month or so and then I just knew it was something worse, he wasn't lame, but he was not sound either, just a bit off. So I took him up to Michigan state to have his stifle xrayed and they found it. It was huge, almost as big as a 1/2 dollar.
"The blood runs hot in the Thoroughbred and the courage runs deep.

In the best of them, pride is limitless. This is their heritage and

they carry it like a banner. What they have, they use."

---C. W. Anderson

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:31 pm

I had a TB that was diagnosed with an OCD/cyst in his stifle as a yearling. Prior to that this young colt had several other issues in his hind legs as well. When those issues had resolved, and he was finally able to be turned out, he came in lame and that was when the stifle was diagnosed. Upon xray it looked huge. He became increasingly worse, to where he would prop his hind end on the edge of his feed bucket to rest it in his stall and once he laid down for the night, he stayed down and would urinate and deficate where he laid. I was seriously attached to this colt and was prepared to do what I could for him. The clinic in KY was notified and they examined his x-rays and said they couldn't do surgery. The insurance company told me I had their permission to put him down. My vet said once it started healing he would be a pasture ornament. I thought I had a plan. Long story short - this colt started getting better with some TLC, Adequan, and other supplements. Continual x-rays showed the problem was very slowly getting smaller. It was not resolved but each x-ray showed some improvement which was good enough for me to continue on our path. When he was finally well enough to be turned out, he went to a round pen, then a small paddock, then a medium paddock, then a larger one with a buddy. He started running all over the place and kicking his buddy's rear. When I started working out the buddy in the round pen, he let it be known he wanted to be in there too. We worked him slowly with no problems. He got up to 30 minutes. When the trainer came to take my two year old to the track he asked what I was going to do with him. I didn't know at the point and I explained his issues but told him how sound he had been. He offered to take him and see what he was capable of and if he couldn't be a track pony or race, he'd find him a great home.

This colt has won two races, is stakes placed and continues to be sound. I am glad I didn't give up on him. His new owner is thrilled with him and he's a lovely, lovable boy, although to this day he hates anyone doing anything to his legs or feet ;).
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:32 pm

great story - congrats on your patience

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:03 pm

Thanks, but I don't know if it was patience or stupidity or a little bit of both ;).
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:20 pm

Oleos wrote:

Wow I can say I am plesently suprised. Very nice to hear there are some sucess stories. Now were the procedures very expensive and did they need to be done in house?

Sorry I missed this. The clean out was done at a Vet Hospital in Oakdale, Ca. I believe I paid 2K for the clean out. Rehab was done at the ranch I keep my horses.