Capillary Health

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

LKR
Allowance Winner

Capillary Health

Postby LKR » Fri May 11, 2012 5:26 am

Is there anything in particular that can help with the capillary system on a horse to aid in preventing bleeding when racing or working hard?
Kathie King
Little King Ranch
Home Of Top Account
Basket Weave
And The Buzz Horses

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri May 11, 2012 8:23 am

I have wondered if aspirin, which is a blood thinner, would help in the same way is helps to prevent strokes in humans.. the dosage would be far too small to be measured as an NSAID.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon May 14, 2012 4:56 am

How would a blood thiner help prevent bleeding. Seems to me thin blood would "bleed" quicker that normal or thick blood???

I know from experience the blood thinner question is one of the first one that is asked at an accident for feer of internal bleeding, and the lungs are internal.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

photofinish
Allowance Winner

Postby photofinish » Mon May 14, 2012 6:10 pm

Most vets tell you "no aspirin" on bleeders, so I would have to agree with Griff.

Supplementing with Vitamins K/C can help as well as...ah what the heck is that stuff?....hesperidan? It's in alot of bleeder supplements. I have had pretty good luck feeding a packet every day of Knox Geletin to bleeders, old timer remedy that works probably 65% of the time.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Tue May 15, 2012 8:36 pm

There's something in the white part of citrus that supports capillary health.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:09 pm

I found something called "Equiwinner" that claims to restore capillary health.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:54 pm

if u're working the horse, try Xantax (if they still make it). It's an excellent anti EIPH product. Most EIPH heals itself fairly quickly with rest. if u're exercising a bleeder, even a mild one, strenuous work requires meds--Xantax, or if ur going really hard, lasix, or the condition will rapidly worsen. When I was at LA downs where the summer humidity is oppressive the trainers had all sorts of anti-bleeding concoctions. also -- avoid working a bleeder in excessive humidity if possible. i'd agree to avoid any blood thinner--asprin or vitamin E as it will worsen the coughing. ditto feeding alfalfa to a bleeder prior to work due to the high E content. Doubt i'd be overly enthusiasic about coagulants either as it seems that could easily cause blood vessel burst.