NOT displaced sesamoid!

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

jlm
Newborn

NOT displaced sesamoid!

Postby jlm » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:40 pm

Well, although I have not talked to the vet yet, I did get written info finally. No wonder I have never heard of a displaced sesamoid, it is indeed a NON DISPLACED SESAMOID FRATCURE. Wow, what poor communication there can be. Not sure where the information changed along the grapevine, but it sure did change.

So, I will ask a new question. Does anyone have experience with or recommendations for that. 3 yr old filly. Her left front, medial sesamoid, midbody location.

Again, thanks for any help you can provide.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:39 pm

Results can vary widely on the precise location/severity. Have had one recover and win, though.

Whoever told you about it first even had the LOCATION/LEG really wrong!!
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:59 pm

I've never dealt directly with a fractured sesamoid. almost bought a horse with one displaced at one time. Texas Rake. Great little horse. too bad. I'd think displaced much more serious than fractured. difference between fractured and shattered. fractures heal, although in that location might potential problem be sesamoiditis--continued inflamation of the area.

without being a vet, I'd think you'd need to keep this horse as still as possible for 8 week and then X-ray to see if it's healed.