Anywhere Equine Transportation Moore Family Equine Express

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

syndeis
Yearling

Anywhere Equine Transportation Moore Family Equine Express

Postby syndeis » Sun May 07, 2006 9:26 pm

I had a mare bred in Maryland this year and just received her back Friday morning in-foal. I am elated to have her back, but unfortunately she was injured during transportation.

On her back right hindquarters and area about the size of a large paper plate was filleted open, the entire area exposed proud flesh. Needless to say I am not happy.

Here are the facts as I know them:

I contracted with Anywhere Equine Trasportation out of Oklahoma.
My mare was delivered by Moore Family Equine Express based in Iowa.
The driver was unaware she was injured, but very sorry nonetheless.
An amount of money was discounted from my fare.
Not sure it will cover vet expenses, I should know soon (DID NOT COVER VET EXPENSES BY HALF).
The swelling was significant enough that cold water therapy is needed before any stitching can be done. Hopeful to pick her up Monday.
Pictures have been taken and I may post them when the vet develops them.
I do not know what filleted her, by the time I put the mare in my round pen the trailer was closed up.
Anywhere Equine has not contacted me back.

USE THESE HAULERS AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Last edited by syndeis on Tue May 09, 2006 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Sun May 07, 2006 9:48 pm

I feel your pain. We really should get a list of good haulers going. Certainly the good ones wouldn't object to getting a little free press. :wink:
I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else. ~ Daria

syndeis
Yearling

Postby syndeis » Mon May 08, 2006 8:09 am

Swelling is still too pronounced, so no repair yet.

Would it be unreasonable to ask the Transport company driver for a skin graft?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon May 08, 2006 8:42 am

How could the driver have been "unaware" she was injured? Who loaded/unloaded the mare?

Accidents do happen and they are horses, and they do heal, but the hauler sounds a tiny bit neglectful.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Mon May 08, 2006 3:01 pm

austique wrote:I feel your pain. We really should get a list of good haulers going. Certainly the good ones wouldn't object to getting a little free press. :wink:

I can tell you who NOT to use, based on my gelding arriving from Washington dehydrated and in early stages of colic. :twisted: :evil:

He's typically a great shipper. This shipper clearly was more concerned about making time than the well being of the horses. Would never use them again. Also tried to tack on a fuel surcharge AFTER quoting me an agreed upon price.

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Mon May 08, 2006 3:10 pm

BJ wrote:
austique wrote:I feel your pain. We really should get a list of good haulers going. Certainly the good ones wouldn't object to getting a little free press. :wink:

I can tell you who NOT to use, based on my gelding arriving from Washington dehydrated and in early stages of colic. :twisted: :evil:

He's typically a great shipper. This shipper clearly was more concerned about making time than the well being of the horses. Would never use them again. Also tried to tack on a fuel surcharge AFTER quoting me an agreed upon price.

How about one where the price charged was way higher than the quote? Despite being told 3 times on the phone and once when they picked up the horses that they were going to have to hook up with a vanning company in KY to drop off the mares (driveway was too short), called me at 5 in the morning screaming about not being able to get into the farm. Foal arrived dehydrated and sick. I could go on...but I don't have all day :wink:

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Mon May 08, 2006 3:39 pm

austique wrote:
BJ wrote:

He (the horse) is typically a great shipper. This shipper clearly was more concerned about making time than the well being of the horses. Would never use them again. Also tried to tack on a fuel surcharge AFTER quoting me an agreed upon price.

How about one where the price charged was way higher than the quote? Despite being told 3 times on the phone and once when they picked up the horses that they were going to have to hook up with a vanning company in KY to drop off the mares (driveway was too short), called me at 5 in the morning screaming about not being able to get into the farm. Foal arrived dehydrated and sick. I could go on...but I don't have all day :wink:

Or...oh never mind...it makes me mad just thinking about it! :x :roll: :wink:

Did the company have the word American in its name? Cuz it sure sounds like the people I used.

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Mon May 08, 2006 3:44 pm

Nope it was a regional one (not the one Syndies used). I had used them before and not really had an issue, but they put the screws to me the second time. :( What I listed wasn't even half of it.

syndeis
Yearling

Postby syndeis » Tue May 09, 2006 11:51 am

Repair did not go well. The skin was not able to re-cover the area damaged.

A list of good transporters might be a good idea, but maybe a list of questions to ask a transport company would be good too.

I had no idea that these transporters subcontracted to each other as an example.

I doubt I would ever sign a transporter contract again anyway. It all but makes them liable for nothing. I really have no recourse but to take my lumps here.

syndeis
Yearling

Postby syndeis » Tue May 09, 2006 3:29 pm

brought her home....how pitiful.

Vet could only do antibiotics, pain killer, and water therapy. No stitches. Only God can heal her now.

WOULD USE THESE HAULERS? THEY CERTAINLY DID NOT TAKE CARE OF MINE!