okay not my fault but.........

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

okay not my fault but.........

Postby sulphurfire » Tue May 09, 2006 1:06 pm

Taffy my mustang was colicky acting Monday, and being very anti-social about being given a shot of Banamine.Long story short the boy helping my other half gave her the shot too high and missed the muscle... Well she's currently on stall rest(per the vet), cold water hosings, and DMSO being put on the site. Has anyone else ever had this happen? I'm trying to figure out a progressive time frame on her healing, not to mention I hate seeing her so unhappy and uncomfortable. And i'm very concerned about her, she's slightly off her feed, and quite passive(which is not her normal self)...The vet did tell me that more than likely she will have an abcess from this....
"The rewards, whether for winning or for losing, offer almost irresistible temptations to race a two-year-old more times than are good for them." John Hay Whitney at the annual testimonial dinner in October 1963 for the Thoroughbred Club of America

WarHorse
Starters Handicap

Postby WarHorse » Sun May 14, 2006 6:37 pm

Rule Number One on injections: always asperate before injecting.

Try laser therapy. I've seen it work before, though the site was never 100%.
And thou fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse. - The Qur'an

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

Postby sulphurfire » Mon May 15, 2006 4:03 pm

The sire abcessed and ruptured, it's a nasty looking area, butmy vet sayd that it shoulf heal fine, and the material that is coming out during the hydrotherapy is what I need to be seeing... It is rather large though, I've never seen one thios nig on anything that was not at a sale barn, being run through... But fingers crossed everything seems to be going right... My other half is having a worse time doctoring her than I am, he'll do it, but only when I'mm at work..
"The rewards, whether for winning or for losing, offer almost irresistible temptations to race a two-year-old more times than are good for them." John Hay Whitney at the annual testimonial dinner in October 1963 for the Thoroughbred Club of America

Jean
Allowance Winner

Postby Jean » Tue May 16, 2006 5:44 am

Be really careful and treat aggresively, Banamine can cause a very serious problem in certain cases. Has been known to progress rapidly and can cause a lot of necropsy. Have your veterinarian keep a close eye!

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Mon May 22, 2006 8:23 pm

Wasn't there a thread on this a couple months back? Had some really good info. You might want to refer back to that one.

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

Postby sulphurfire » Sat May 27, 2006 11:53 am

Well the wound site is much better, originally I could have put my fingers inside of it since then it has started filling in closing up, no more drainage(stll doing hydrotherapy 2x daily,more when we can)...Her appetite and general demaenor are mostly back, but she untied herse4lf the other day and was much easier to catch than she's ever been. I'll post before and after pics later when I ghet a chance, but for now I have to go help with the new filly. A sale barn purchase, grade yearling filly, picjked up for 90 dollars...She earned herself the name Flip, because she flipped herself over when we tried to get her to lead.She's somewhere between 10 and 14 months of age been around people but knows nothing.