A "different" type of problem with a full horse!

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Pierre LP
Yearling

A "different" type of problem with a full horse!

Postby Pierre LP » Wed May 17, 2006 10:23 am

I have a full horse, 7yo, in training who runs creditably in top UK handicaps.

He has very large balls which may be hampering him slightly. The front 3/4 of his body are superb but the back 1/4 seems to be just that little bit lacking. He doesn't appear to be in any obvious discomfort.

I just wondered is there was anything that I might try to help him.

Someone suggested a "jock strap" type contraption.

This is a serious post and serious answers would be most appreciated.

surprisewind
Allowance Winner

Postby surprisewind » Wed May 17, 2006 10:27 am

I once knew a horse with this problem. The solution for him was gelding, and he seemed MUCH more comfortable after the procedure. Ran better, too. Before that, he'd break well and then drop back and act uncomfortable.
Other than gelding, I have no idea. I've never seen an equine jock strap anywhere, but maybe you could make one?

Pierre LP
Yearling

Postby Pierre LP » Wed May 17, 2006 12:55 pm

Not too keen on gelding him at 7.

If I come up with an idea that works I'll post it. :)

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Wed May 17, 2006 4:26 pm

Retire him to stud.. he maybe gifted for a reason.

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Wed May 17, 2006 4:46 pm

You can sponge him with ice water in the saddling paddock and try to get them to suck them up. We had limited results with this though :wink:
I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else. ~ Daria

KamiBrooks
Starters Handicap

Postby KamiBrooks » Wed May 17, 2006 10:09 pm

I've seen a horse run in a jock strap (or something strapping in that general area in) so they must exist.

Pierre LP
Yearling

Postby Pierre LP » Thu May 18, 2006 5:12 am

Thanks for all your replies

crystal - without black type he wouldn't get many mares, even though he's a grand looking sort.

austique - that sounds like a good idea....I'll try that.

KamiBrooks - thanks for confirming that they do exist.

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Thu May 18, 2006 8:38 am

If you don't want to geld because you want to use him as a potential stud down the road, then ignore my post.

But, if you don't want to geld just because he's older, don't worry about that. My old man was gelded at age 7 and he has retained stallion-like behavior to this day (at age 27), but behavior doesn't seem to be the issue with your guy. If the issue is testicles that cause pain or get in the way, gelding will most definitely take care of that. :wink:
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

Pierre LP
Yearling

Postby Pierre LP » Thu May 18, 2006 12:00 pm

Roguelet....that's interesting. Personally gelding him would be my preference. He's such a pussycat that he's probably the easiest horse to tack up, and most of our horses are geldings.

How long was yours off work, and did it improve his racing ability...which is my aim.

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Fri May 19, 2006 6:32 am

This particular old guy is an Andalusian, not a racing Thoroughbred, but he wasn't laid up at all... just kept doing what he was doing without missing a beat. He's a tough old bird though... he's 27 and still acts like he's in his prime, and to this day he has no idea that he's missing his "man parts." :wink:

When you geld, they NEED to keep moving, so he shouldn't really miss any time as far as training goes. If he's sore he might not want to give 100% for a few days, but that shouldn't last long. We just gelded a 3YO in training a little over a week ago, he was back on the track literally the next day and his mind is already more into his work, according to the trainer.

We gelded one as a 4YO because we thought he just wasn't extending his stride in the back as fully as he could, and thought maybe his testicles were causing that. It improved his racing slightly but didn't make a huge difference in his case. We did it right after a race when he would have a few days off anyway, just some jogging around to keep him moving, and he didn't miss any time at all... he was able to race again a few weeks later just like we would've done anyway.

"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

Pierre LP
Yearling

Postby Pierre LP » Sun May 21, 2006 12:04 am

Roguelet: thanks for that.....we have a 36yo mare who still "sprints about"
She's still an interesting ride

emmad
Maiden Special Weight

Postby emmad » Sun May 21, 2006 5:25 pm

The other thing you can try is greasing them with baby oil. Means they move smoothly no pinching :)

wen8t
Maiden Special Weight

geld

Postby wen8t » Sun May 21, 2006 5:39 pm

even the best get gelded as you know , if you want him to run at his full potential you have to geld him if your going to use him as a stallion stop running him because your not going to get his best form ever as a racehorse in the track. Tuff decision .

kezeli
Allowance Winner

Postby kezeli » Mon May 22, 2006 8:40 am

Bill Mott use to "chill" a horse to get him to suck up than put a rubberband around to scrotum. I had questioned if perhaps this practice may have had an impact on Cigars fertility issues though. But it did work in getting the horses with this "problem" to run more comfertably though.

Skipitgirl
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Skipitgirl » Thu May 25, 2006 9:19 am

Just want to add...I bought a QH gelding years ago who had only been gelded 2 months before I bought him. He was 13. He went on to become quite the accomplished event horse :lol: