Dennis Craig's "Thoroughbred Breeding from Cluster Mare

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

Dennis Craig's "Thoroughbred Breeding from Cluster Mare

Postby vineyridge » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:36 pm

I just got this book. It's fascinating, and he makes a compelling case for his argument.

Anyone else know it? What do you think of it? (I think Ellen Parker used him a lot in developing her theories).[/b]
Thread Killer Extraordinaire

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:17 pm

I have owned this book for a while. I think it makes good sense. This is a very good read for any serious pedigree student.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

diomed
Grade III Winner

Postby diomed » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:39 am

I have the book too.
I enjoyed it very much. Great read.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:57 am

Anyone care to give a brief summary of the book?

diomed
Grade III Winner

Postby diomed » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:03 pm

xfactor fan wrote:Anyone care to give a brief summary of the book?

I am lazy today so I found this summary on a book site.
Every since Bruce Lowe and the Figure System revolutionized ideas about the mating of Thoroughbreds, breeders have been preoccupied with the question: 'Which are the best Thoroughbred families?' Dennis Craig has reopened the whole subject by suggesting that excellence in the racehorse is not the property of certain female lines as such, but has been derived from a select band of outstanding mares whose influence on the development of the Thoroughbred has been paramount. Mr. Craig's penetrating researches have identified these 'Star-Cluster' mares and revealed how their influence has been transmitted, through male and female lines of descent to the champion racehorses of later generations. Mr. Craig also argues persuasively that Classic winners often are not worth the inflated prices that are paid for their stud services, and recommends the use of less fashionable non-classic winning stallions who have some of the same 'Star-Cluster' mares close up in their pedigrees as the brood mares with whom it is proposed to mate them.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:01 am

When this book (properly titled Breeding Race Horses From Cluster Mares) was published in the mid-60s I read a review of it in The Thoroughbred Record, ordered a copy and became a believer. In essence Craig's theory was the first articulation of what we now refer to as the Rasmussen Factor (RF).

In the early '70s in CA Leon Rasmussen actually led a seminar project which sought to identify both the 100 most significant/influential broodmares and the 100 most significant/influential families. The results were published in The California Thoroughbred and thereafter I considered all the mares on that list which had not already been designated by Craig as "cluster mares" to be their equivalent.

Over the past few years The Thoroughbred Times published a series by John Sparkman of 67 "Foundation Mares". These were incorporated into a book published last December. I consider Sparkman's "foundation mares", 21 of which were interestingly enough not already designated as "reines", also to be equivalent to "cluster mares".

Coincidentally when I first came across the excellent comprehensive work Bill from WA had done with seminal mares (odd choice of adjective I know to use with females!) I sent him a complimentary e-mail and also asked if he was familiar with Dennis Craig's book -- and of course he was.

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

Postby vineyridge » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:12 am

You could call them "germinal mares"!

Where can I get the Rasmussen articles from the California publication?

Now I'm off to buy the Sparkman book. Thanks for the recommendation.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:04 pm

Viney, you have a PM.

diomed
Grade III Winner

Postby diomed » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:57 am

I am so broke.
I really, really want that book!
Sucks to be unemployed. :cry:

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:56 pm

Anyone willing to post some of the "cluster' mares names?

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:32 am

Hi

Dennis Craig has classified as "Cluster Mares", those broodmares that have, within six generations, produced two or more winners of 5 of the selected "Classic" races (Derby Stakes, Oaks Stakes, St Leger, Two Thousand Guineas, One Thousand Guineas, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes, Ascot Gold Cup, and The Eclipse Stakes). He also has broodmares classified as "Star Mares" who have, within six generations, produced two or more winners of 3 or 4 of the classic races listed above.
A few of the Cluster Mares he has listed in his book correspond with some of the more productive "Conduit Mares" that have emerged from my own seperate research. Rosaline (1904) by Trenton, Pretty Polly (1901) by Gallinule, Gondolette (1902) by Loved One, Absurdity (1903) by Melton, Silver Fowl (1904) by Wildfowler, and Mistrella (1907) by Cyllene are just a few "Conduit Mares" that made his list. He goes all the way back to the early 1700's for other mares.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

diomed
Grade III Winner

Postby diomed » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:45 am

"Cluster" Mares.
"Star" Mares.
"Satellite" mares(these are the "foundation" mares).

I really love this Book!
I am rather busy today but will "try" to get the book out and put up a list of all in these groups.
Unless, somebody beats me to it.
:D

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

Postby vineyridge » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:47 am

Bill, what do you think of Aloe? She seems to me to be one of the best families around.

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:19 am

Hi vineyridge

Absolutely! Aloe's granddam and conduit mare, Altoviscar is the conduit of Epsom Derby winners High Rise and Nashwan (who also won the 2000 Guineas in record time), Known Fact (2000 Guineas), Oaks winners Salsabil and Jet Ski Lady, sires Round Table, Pulpit, Gone West, A P Jet, Johannesburg, Tale Of The Cat, and Northern Spur (among others). Broodmare of the Year, Knight's Daughter also calls Altoviscar her conduit. Superb family.

Bill

Langston Hughes

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:28 am

I love this family. To elaborate on what Bill has already noted, here's the way Thoroughbred Heritage describes it:

"Aloe, the granddaughter of Altoviscar, became the matriarch of a female family which has become one of the most important classic producing tribes of the twentieth century. Through her daughter Aroma the family has counted such standouts as Obeah, Go For Wand, Atan, Tamarett, Known Fact, Secrettame, Tentam, Tappiano, and Gone West. Aloe's daughter Feola, a classics-placed Friar Marcus filly, founded a branch of the family which has included Above Board, Above Suspicion, Angelola, Aureole, Hypericum, Highclere, Height of Fashion, Unfuwain, Nashwan, Nayef, Love Game, Knight's Daughter and her two important offspring--major producer Monarchy and multiple American champion Round Table. Finally, Aloe's daughter Sweet Aloe, a filly by Cameronian, became ancestress of such notable performers as Alcide, Parthia, Flame of Tara, and Salsabil."

IMO that's as good as it gets.