Female Families

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

milesm
2yo Maiden

Postby milesm » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:29 am

Anne Peters was there too and a few others might have had a say in it, Les Brinsfield comes to mind, it was an informal decision to give La Troienne 1-x designation. A few people disagreed, but for the most part, I haven't heard any complaints about it recently. I'm not sure if it's been accepted by others yet or not.

She certainly deserves her own branch.

Fam 4-r in Germany (Nella da Gubbio)

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:10 pm

Hallo,
the foundation mare of the German branch of family 4-r is Nella da Gubbio. Purchased by the owner of the Erlenhof Stud (still existend) from Mr. Tesio himself. She was an immediate success withe her unbeaten offspring Nereide (Laland or Graf Isolani). A much later done bloodtest revealed lalnd was her correct sire. One of her sons was sent after World War II to America, his name was "Nordlicht".

Her branch ihas during the last years the Derby and Oakswinner Next Desert (by Desert Style) and his HS Next Gina (By Perugino). Another very food racehorse was Nebos (by Caro), a short look at his ped revealed he had at least 4 strains of his own family within 5 generations. Sadly he turned not the great breeding success as was expected of him.

When I could have a look at German Thoroughbred breeding studbooks from the begin of the 20th Century, I discovered a sire named Diakka., have a look at his damline and you will get a surprise.

Best regards, Bettina

monicabee
Allowance Winner

Postby monicabee » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:53 am

Bettina, thanks for the info.

I looked up Nebos - he was crossed back to the 4-r family again to produce a mare named Narola. Four of her offspring were by Northern Dancer line stallions (Singspiel, Royal Academy, Night Shift, Lomitas) thus bringing in another line to 4-r though Nogara. This appears to have been a example of a breeder trying to do exactly what this post was originally about.

At least two of them appear successful from the info in the database - though the son of Royal Academy, National Academy had a tragic end to a very good career.

Diakka is interesting - he was exported even before Catnip - he doesn't seem to have made a huge mark as a sire though. He did have a son called Swastika (before that symbol had been made toxic).

Bettina, is there a book (Ich kann auch Deutsch lesen) that details the history of breeding in Germany, important figures - and how the horses and people survived the various European conflicts and their aftermaths?

Bettina
Allowance Winner

Postby Bettina » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:28 am

Hallo, Monicabee,
many thanks for input about the Catnip family in Germany.

But I'm sorry, there is no book existed about German racing and breding and important breeders. From my own library, in comparison to oters is still a small, I only found scattered reports about certain studs or breeders and their respective fates.

From time to time is a report about Germany in the British breedermagazine "Pacemaker", like in the February issue about Schlenderhan and the family von Ullmann.

Best regards, Bettina.

siegy
Allowance Winner

Postby siegy » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:15 am

Bill from WA wrote:The line of 4r that Nearco is from, through Catnip, has very few stallions here in the US. The great German stallion, Neckar, traces to Catnip. Mizzen Mast, Level Sands, Dynaformer, and Tamayaz flow through Artless.
Bertrando, through Fernanda. Adcat, King Of The Heap, Cloud Hopping, Deputy Warlock, Eltish, and Forest Gazelle, through Lady Hubbard. Mr Easy Money, through Madcap. Carson City, General Meeting, and King Of The Mint, through Prinzessin, and War Chant, through Sainotta. To name a few. You have to way back for many of these branches to intersect.

Bill

hi bill from w.a.,
here is neckar for you as i, have 6-1-5-9-0 0.83-0.19 9.5-11.5,
please post your nu= for compare,
Siegy,

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:51 pm

Hi Siegy

I'll have to leave that profile to you. My conduit profiles are based on mares born circa 1900, and Neckar has too many individuals that pre-date my conduit mares. I pretty much have to stick with pedigrees from the mid to late fifties and newer.
Nice to have you back.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

siegy
Allowance Winner

Postby siegy » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:37 pm

Bill from WA wrote:Hi Siegy

I'll have to leave that profile to you. My conduit profiles are based on mares born circa 1900, and Neckar has too many individuals that pre-date my conduit mares. I pretty much have to stick with pedigrees from the mid to late fifties and newer.
Nice to have you back.

Bill
hi bill, :lol:
ok, now i, know you work in the present or close to it.
good you respond,
regard's Siegy,