Biomechanics, Inbreeding & Breakdowns

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:45 pm

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:56 pm

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:12 pm

Matchemforever
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Matchemforever » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:31 pm

This was interesting:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -toe-grabs

How a QH breaks from the gate is different from the TB, among other things.

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:17 pm

Shoeing racehorses is a very important factor in the long term health. Lots of research has been done, but very little changes have been made. The elimination of toe grabs for the TB is a start. It is interesting that the QH is impacted differently.

http://www.reeis.usda.gov/web/crisproje ... 92617.html

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:34 pm

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:46 pm

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:52 pm

xfactor fan wrote:Going back to the comment about breeding Secretariat back to his own daughters because he was such a unique physical type.

Ran across this guy Blade, Bold Ruler x Monarchy by Princequillo. Also chestnut. So technically 3/4 sibling to Secretariat. Monarchy is Round Table's full sister. Looks enough like Secretariat to be his stunt double.

http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?d=blade&x=0&y=0

Look up Bold Lad (1962) ex Misty Morn.

Another stunt double possibility. 8)

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:08 am

Yep, and he's another chestnut son of Bold Ruler out of a Princequillo mare.
Given that red and sabino are linked, and that Discovery, the likely souce of Bold Ruler's red chromosome, didn't carry much white. I've wondered if the red/sabino came down the pedigree from White Eagle and Gallinule.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/gallinule

No real way of telling, but fun to think about.

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:17 am

Dave C wrote:Racing QH's only race over a very narrow range of distances also forcing a convergence to type.

http://www.mwtmag.com/issues/2010/june/Quarterhorsercng.htm

Mixed races include both quarter horses and thoroughbreds racing against each other. There could be as many as two mixed 440 yard races, and five at a distance of 870 yards.

These are not match races. The ones I have come across are longer than the typical QH race, and shorter than most TB races.

lisa_p11
Weanling

Postby lisa_p11 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:00 am

Just found this thread a week ago. I've enjoyed reading it. Sad to see that it has died down.
So I just read an article on Zenyatta's half sister that is going up for sale in November. What do you think of her?
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... n-november

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:17 pm

I like her. Her conformation as a weanling is very good and she looks like she'll have some height to her. Considering the success of her siblings Zenyatta and Balance, she'll definitely be playing in the big leagues. What really interests me is the fact that she is being placed in a November breeding stock sale. I guess the current owners want to get their money and run before anything about her abilities heads south.

As far as this thread dying out, I've found it very difficult to speak in general terms about conformation. It is much easier when you have a target individual. Most of the authoritative studies and books have been written and re-written on the subject. For the most part, those studies have come to the same conclusion that conformation has a direct effect on soundness.

What no one seems to be able to explain is how racehorses with terrible conformation become winners. Seabiscuit and John Henry are examples but there is a thread on the racing thread "hard knockers" that I'm sure you find a great majority of the horses have very flawed conformation.

I recently read a article about conformation and one of the contributors discussed the fact that the two most important characteristics that make a horse a multiple winner or "hard knocker" is their heart size and stride. Simply you can have a crooked leg horse that can win based on those two characteristics. There are certainly a great many examples.

Best wishes.

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:12 am

Next tuesday there will be an tv coverage on channel 4 TV,dedicated to the anytomy from the thorougbred in relation to breakdowns, speed above the 60/km per hour, breeding etc. This will in english.

Coverage time nine o,clock in the evening to ten o,clock in the evening
dutch times.

All aspects are in.

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:07 pm

BenB: I be interested in seeing it, but aren't you in the Netherlands? What channel would be it on in the U. S.

Best wishes.

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:30 pm

Shammy Davis wrote:BenB: I be interested in seeing it, but aren't you in the Netherlands? What channel would be it on in the U. S.

Best wishes.

If all else fails...it could be recorded in Europe...converted to DVD or VCD...and shared here...there are ways of converting PAL standard to NTSC standard...in another life, I play with video software... 8)
May 2013: Plan ahead now for the Phalaris/Teddy Centennial!
A horse gallops with his lungs
Perseveres with his heart
And wins with his character. --Tesio