Biomechanics, Inbreeding & Breakdowns

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:09 pm

Channel four is English, Iam not able to receive it myself, as It needs an decoder.

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:20 pm

:shock: Uh, Ben? So what are we to do with the information about channel 4 in the UK that neither you nor we can get?

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Postby ElPrado » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:39 pm

We do have some posters in the UK.

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:58 pm

ElPrado wrote:We do have some posters in the UK.

Some of these programs turn up on You Tube. With others, they are sometimes posted online complete.

There are ways of taking video files and doing conversions of file formats and broadcast formats. It's not as straightforward as copying a CD, but can be done... 8)
May 2013: Plan ahead now for the Phalaris/Teddy Centennial!
A horse gallops with his lungs
Perseveres with his heart
And wins with his character. --Tesio

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:19 am

http://www.megavideo.com/?d=TLINGLXI

Try this one, it works.

Very good explanation on several subjects.

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

Postby vineyridge » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:51 am

here's another link to the Channel 4 documentary.
http://www.videozer.com/video/q4rqhW

Be warned that the program is over 46 minutes long, so if you are stuck with dial up, it can take all night to download.

It really is something that all people who love and are involved with horses should watch. The dissection of the race horse and the explanation of how horses move and breathe was really very educational.

I just watched it, and the part that impressed me the most was the section on foot function. Somehow the importance of the heel had passed me by. And the foot that the farrier was working on showed the difference between a foot with a good frog, good concavity and good heels and the flat foot with low heels that one of mine was born with.
Thread Killer Extraordinaire

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:51 pm

vineyridge wrote:here's another link to the Channel 4 documentary.
http://www.videozer.com/video/q4rqhW

Be warned that the program is over 46 minutes long, so if you are stuck with dial up, it can take all night to download.

It really is something that all people who love and are involved with horses should watch. The dissection of the race horse and the explanation of how horses move and breathe was really very educational.

I just watched it, and the part that impressed me the most was the section on foot function. Somehow the importance of the heel had passed me by. And the foot that the farrier was working on showed the difference between a foot with a good frog, good concavity and good heels and the flat foot with low heels that one of mine was born with.

This source has a time limit, which prevents downloading with anything but a fast connection. Sigh.

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

Postby vineyridge » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:46 am

I have dial up at 49.2 kps (per Windows) and downloaded the program overnight.
Thread Killer Extraordinaire

Nessa
Grade III Winner

Postby Nessa » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:16 pm

Shammy Davis wrote:I like her. Her conformation as a weanling is very good and she looks like she'll have some height to her. Considering the success of her siblings Zenyatta and Balance, she'll definitely be playing in the big leagues. What really interests me is the fact that she is being placed in a November breeding stock sale. I guess the current owners want to get their money and run before anything about her abilities heads south.

As far as this thread dying out, I've found it very difficult to speak in general terms about conformation. It is much easier when you have a target individual. Most of the authoritative studies and books have been written and re-written on the subject. For the most part, those studies have come to the same conclusion that conformation has a direct effect on soundness.

What no one seems to be able to explain is how racehorses with terrible conformation become winners. Seabiscuit and John Henry are examples but there is a thread on the racing thread "hard knockers" that I'm sure you find a great majority of the horses have very flawed conformation. I recently read a article about conformation and one of the contributors discussed the fact that the two most important characteristics that make a horse a multiple winner or "hard knocker" is their heart size and stride. Simply you can have a crooked leg horse that can win based on those two characteristics. There are certainly a great many examples.

Best wishes.

I think that the two horses you've mentioned and others like them have flawed conformation but are great athletes. They know how to use their bodies. They know when to push and when to back off. I'd put Easy Goer in with them a crooked left leg and a club foot and bad ankles to boot, but he was a heck of a runner because he knew how and when to use his body, like every truly great athlete.
Nu

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:39 pm

vineyridge wrote:I have dial up at 49.2 kps (per Windows) and downloaded the program overnight.

That's what I have, but after about 5 hours, the downloading broke off, and my access to the program was blocked for any more downloading. Sigh. I saw a little of it and it look absolutely fascinating.