It starts: First Storm Cat 3x3 I have seen

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:46 pm

Back in October 2010, the Gluck Center's Equine Disease Quarterly spoke to this very issue.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/gluck/q/2010/oct10/Q-Oct10.pdf

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/ceh/docs/ ... km-sec.pdf
Last edited by Shammy Davis on Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:47 pm

Unless mares in Thailand are given to producing triplets, I would take anything in the sire's progeny list with a very large grain of salt. As for Jeedjard, she is either a 2004 mare or a 2006 colt according to the database. The former is less likely as it does not appear his/her sire was at stud in 2003.

I will attempt to learn which of these horses actually exist, but am guessing the majority do not. Do not expect many of these entries to remain in the database for very long.

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:21 am

Just noticed this old thread.

As an advocate for selective inbreeding I am experimenting with several 3 x 3 Storm Cat matings. I've been careful to breed only correct animals and have been lucky to receive two very good-legged foals. However, both of them show the classic 'Storm Cat under pressure' temperaments. Otherwise, they are exemplary.

I didnt line breed to SC; I bred SC granddaughters to well-performing stallions who were produced by SC dams. One of the foals is also inbred 4 x 3 Mr. Prospector--and he is the most correct yearling I own!

This year I am breeding three SC-line mares to stallions out of SC dams.

The jury is barely out on this model but I will be watching for upcoming examples. I dont believe it relevant to judge any mating---whether it be based on inbreeding, nicking, dosage, GSV or any other theory---if the sire/dam are inferior types. IMO that's a huge reason why statistics on each of these breeding methods can be misleading if not counter-productive.

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:59 am

If you are a vetran breeder, You can skate on thin ice. A novice breeder should not inbred to the max, as unsoundness is a dominant trait. Good luck in your matings. Louis.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:46 am

louis finochio wrote:If you are a vetran breeder, You can skate on thin ice. A novice breeder should not inbred to the max, as unsoundness is a dominant trait. Good luck in your matings. Louis.

Louis,

Soundness/unsoundness is a not a single gene, dominant or otherwise.

If you have proof to the contrary, cite it.
May 2013: Plan ahead now for the Phalaris/Teddy Centennial!
A horse gallops with his lungs
Perseveres with his heart
And wins with his character. --Tesio