Pontivy

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Pontivy

Postby Heidilady » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:04 pm

Just trying to figure out why she's a Reine de Course. She's a nice enough mare with nice progeny, but am I missing something? I've always thought of that designation as a sign that the mare in question is the spoke in the wheel of a particularly nice and genetically potent family. It draws attention to the accomplishments of those bearing her genes. Why Pontivy?
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:29 pm

Hello Heidi

Pontivy has (at least) 65 black type runners, and 10 G1 winners tracing directly to her. A very important influence.

Best to you.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

Zahrah
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Zahrah » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:49 pm

She's about as prolific as it gets tail-female. I'm not sure I can remember a sale where I didn't something descending from her.

I'd much prefer a mare like this be a reine than a mare like Dahlia. While Dahlia was about as great of a producer as one could get, none of her daughters really carried on the tradition. I consider her a great broodmare, but I wouldn't call her a "foundation" mare at all. None of the class was passed on.

But maybe that's just my own classification of what a "reine" is to me.

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

Postby vineyridge » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:25 am

Is this the 1959 Pontivy? Because if it is, PQ shows her with only 1 daughter-Patelin, and Patelin's not a reine. Pontivy isn't not like Pretty Polly or La Troienne who created their own dynasties through multiple daughters. She only had five foals total, and her colts were damn good, but none were huge sire successes that I can see. Patelin had a huge number of foals though.

But why Pontivy and not Patelin?
Thread Killer Extraordinaire

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:21 pm

Patelin would seem to make more sense to me as a "Reine" designation, but the assignment of "Reine" is determined by Ellen Parker, based on her own criteria. She has a ton of very interesting info on her web site.

http://www.reines-de-course.com/

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:09 pm

Langston Hughes

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:29 am

Bill: Thanks for the link.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:43 pm

I am under the impression that several of PONTIVY's progeny were
scintillating sprinters with several track records. That detail may have helped her a lot to gain her status. I did sort of a research on her
sprinters many years ago. When I saw her name here I recalled immediately.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:14 pm

Jorge wrote:I am under the impression that several of PONTIVY's progeny were
scintillating sprinters with several track records. That detail may have helped her a lot to gain her status. I did sort of a research on her
sprinters many years ago. When I saw her name here I recalled immediately.

Jaikyl was a tremendous sprinter than ran every week for a few years back in the early 70's I think. Used to run at Liberty Bell and GS back then. A hard knocking talented gray. Both Pontifex and Pontoise were also very fast horses...Pontifex being good at 2 if I recall. Combine that with the dynasty that Patelin sourced and you have a strong case for this mare.

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:37 pm

Bill from WA wrote:Patelin would seem to make more sense to me as a "Reine" designation, but the assignment of "Reine" is determined by Ellen Parker, based on her own criteria. She has a ton of very interesting info on her web site.

http://www.reines-de-course.com/

Bill

But do pack your salt shaker.
May 2013: Plan ahead now for the Phalaris/Teddy Centennial!
A horse gallops with his lungs
Perseveres with his heart
And wins with his character. --Tesio