Two Colonial Imported Mares

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

Two Colonial Imported Mares

Postby vineyridge » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:03 pm

Overall which one is the more influential in the modern TB?

Kitty Fisher or Selima?

Why?
Thread Killer Extraordinaire

diomed
Grade III Winner

Postby diomed » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:53 pm

Oooh. Tough call here.
After some long thought, I decided Selima. I feel she had more important sires descend from her over all and her branch went on longer. Hanover was huge! Especially in the case for Tourbillon's influence over seas and then back here.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Re: Two Colonial Imported Mares

Postby Pan Zareta » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:34 am

vineyridge wrote:Overall which one is the more influential in the modern TB?

Kitty Fisher or Selima?

Why?

Slight edge to *Kitty Fisher. She appears one time more than *Selima, and a couple of generations closer, in the pedigree of Lexington who is probably the primary conduit for both in the modern TB.

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

Postby vineyridge » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:12 am

Guess I should have made it three mares and added Maria Slamerkin's dam, Cub Mare, to the three. She, of course, would probably be the single most influential Colonial import today, thanks to Sibola, Catnip and Nearco. But her branch of 4 is still very strong. Neither Kitty Fisher nor Selima are in Miss Obstinate, which is interesting.
Thread Killer Extraordinaire

diomed
Grade III Winner

Postby diomed » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:14 am

Mary Grey(1742) is another very important colonial import.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:52 pm

vineyridge wrote:Guess I should have made it three mares and added Maria Slamerkin's dam, Cub Mare, to the three. She, of course, would probably be the single most influential Colonial import today, thanks to Sibola, Catnip and Nearco.

The influence of the Cub *mare was pervasive long before Nearco was foaled. Gerry (1931) regarded her as the most influential of the American (native as well as imported) matriarchs. Nearco was just icing on the cake.

In addition to *Selima and *Kitty Fisher, I can think of a few imported (18th cent.) American matriarchs that I'd probably put ahead of *Mary Grey in terms of contemporary influence, *Diana (aka: Duchess, Diamonds, x Cullen Arabian) and *Sylva, for instance.

diomed
Grade III Winner

Postby diomed » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:41 pm

Diana's presence is huge too. Very big in the TB and QH gene pool.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:13 pm

diomed wrote:Diana's presence is huge too. Very big in the TB and QH gene pool.

No argument that the family 12b tap is a major influence on both breeds. But - something I should have mentioned in prev post - the mtDNA evidence indicates an error in the record at either *Diana or the mare by *Jack of Diamonds from whom all of the active 12b lines descend. The error is more likely in the record of the filly x *JoD. She can only tentatively be attributed to *Diana.