Dosage

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Wed May 23, 2012 4:13 pm

Thanks for the info, and I now understand why you can't give out the names.

I've been looking at how several factors (that we now can test for) interact. What happens when mtDNA, Muscle type, and Physical type interact.

Pure types are relatively easy--sprinters, distance horses. What fallw in the middle is the "classic" horse. Are they distance horses that can sprint? Sprinters that can stay? Some other combination?

What happens when the mtDNA favors sprinting, when the body type is distance?
Distance mtDNA with a sprinter body?

If these questions could be answered, breeders might have a better chance of producing champions.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Wed May 23, 2012 4:32 pm

I do not see any of this having a lot of value unless you can guarantee what the offspring is going to look like. Long body on short legs just does not conjure up images of anything other than a daschund and conversely short body on long legs would be a giraffe.

Perhaps there is value if one can guarantee which traits are going to be dominant combined with everything else.

But at the end of the day if there is nothing but environment to affect the outcome there won't be much of a sport left as the only one's who will be in it are the one's who came in with the most money.

diomed
Grade III Winner

Postby diomed » Wed May 23, 2012 4:41 pm

brogers wrote:
diomed wrote:
xfactor fan wrote:Names?

Yeah, right? I bet you have to pay for that information. :roll:

It's a little more complex than that. Equinome have an applied patent for the allele so if we offered to sell the information it would be using their IP and we would be slapped with a lawsuit. Also, just volunteering/giving it away is contravening an agreement we made with the owners when we collected the DNA. We agreed that we wouldn't disclose any DNA information with their names in a public forum.

You can work one of the C:C Belmont Stakes winner out pretty easily. His best offspring are sprinters.

Thanks for that. I think I know who it is but I have one question;Deceased or Still active?

I suspect that Northern Dancer was a CC too.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Wed May 23, 2012 5:59 pm

Tappiano,

Think of it as loading the genetic dice. If you know that your mare has a particular type of mtDNA, wouldn't it be good to know that a particular type of physical type works best?

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Wed May 23, 2012 6:32 pm

I don't know anything about her mtDna but I did predict, based on the research that I did on her family, what she would produce and will produce.

I can also tell you that I do not see her ever throwing a sprinter and in all likelihood anything she produces is not going to be "early". Call that instinct, call it well read, call it whatever you want, but it's as solid a projection as I can make and not a "guess" by any means.

Not to digress too much from the original topic of dosage, even if one could look at the strands of DNA and go OH it's speed, I still do not see how you are going to be able to prove that every sperm that stallion produces is going to have the same code or whether every embryo has the same when it's combined with the mare.

I'm not knocking the program, but the industry still seems hell bent on destroying itself so the only thing people will pay for is the very thing that will cause it's implosion, speed.

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Postby ElPrado » Wed May 23, 2012 7:05 pm

Color coded tea leaves, Barc. I like the yellow with purple stripes, myself.

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Thu May 24, 2012 7:17 am

Ah, you chose the Deluxe Package. That will be $250, please; no money back guarantee, though.

brogers
Allowance Winner

Postby brogers » Thu May 24, 2012 8:05 am

diomed wrote:Thanks for that. I think I know who it is but I have one question;Deceased or Still active?

I suspect that Northern Dancer was a CC too.

Alive and serving mares.
Byron Rogers
Performance Genetics
http://performancegenetics.com
Keen Ice...Verrazano...Fontiton...Divisidero...Breaking Lucky...Hoss Amor...

diomed
Grade III Winner

Postby diomed » Thu May 24, 2012 8:17 am

Thanks Byron!