Dosage

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Tue May 22, 2012 10:20 am

DDT,

I generally breed to speed stallions because most of my mares are bred more for classic distances. I did breed to HOLD ME BACK but Im not a huge fan of his last-to-first running style. To answer your question I've bred to UNCLE MO, TALE OF THE CAT, MUNNINGS (4), SCAT DADDY, READYS IMAGE (3), HORSE GREELEY, STREET HERO, KODIAK COWBOY, REGAL RANSOM, SUCCESSFUL APPEAL, WILBURN (2), MISREMEMBERED (2), PARADING, and one or two others.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Tue May 22, 2012 10:30 am

Parading is the true definition of a plodder.......

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Tue May 22, 2012 10:35 am

He was a deep closer, yes, but not exactly a plodder. Belmont Stakes runners are often plodders--like Jazil. But I bred a KINGMAMBO mare with good speed and a fast female line to him. He's a grand looking horse so I took a shot.

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Tue May 22, 2012 11:16 am

Barcaldine

I like all of those except maybe Uncle Mo, we will see with him. It is nice to see all of the Storm Cat and Secretariat blood, I never was much of a Gone West fan. I wish you all the luck in the world. Now, getting back to the topic of the thread, Dr. Fager, Forego, Midnight Lute and many other champion sprinters have DI's under 4.00 as do an overwhelming number of Kentucky Derby/Belmont winners. I am also not a big fan of dosage, but if you pick a runner that has a DI above 4.00 to win one of those two classics your chance of cashing a ticket is very slim indeed. It does happen, just not very often.

DDT

brogers
Allowance Winner

Postby brogers » Tue May 22, 2012 1:10 pm

diomed wrote:The new genetic findings of the "speed gene" to me is an indicator of genetic dosage or so to speak. A horse that carries the CC allele will never get a Belmont win. I really can't wait for science to find more genetic information towards performance.

There are two recent Belmont Stakes winners that are C:C's on the allele used for Equinome's distance test and four Kentucky Derby winners.
Byron Rogers
Performance Genetics
http://performancegenetics.com
Keen Ice...Verrazano...Fontiton...Divisidero...Breaking Lucky...Hoss Amor...

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Tue May 22, 2012 1:14 pm

Names?

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Tue May 22, 2012 2:14 pm

DDT

Thanks. Im like many breeders in that I breed some mares to sell in-foal, some mares to sell foals from, and some mares to race foals from. The mare bred to Uncle Mo, for instance, is a half-sister to WISE DAN and SUCCESSFUL DAN, so I will sell her to pay for the others. This is one reason why I cannot afford to fall in love with my horses anymore---as soon as I forget that this is a business Im doomed.

diomed
Grade III Winner

Postby diomed » Tue May 22, 2012 2:25 pm

xfactor fan wrote:Names?

Yeah, right? I bet you have to pay for that information. :roll:

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Tue May 22, 2012 5:23 pm

I'll take the bait and offer up a guess on Commendable!

jagger
Grade III Winner

Commendable

Postby jagger » Tue May 22, 2012 5:29 pm

Was just going to say that, tappiano!!!

jagger
Grade III Winner

Commendable

Postby jagger » Tue May 22, 2012 5:33 pm

You DO know the connection to your favorite horse??? Tappiano?

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Tue May 22, 2012 6:43 pm

Of course I do and since his dosage is over 4 would presume that his dam would be the one passing the speed down similar to the large heart (if that's how it works).

Just to digress for a minute I could not be Fappiano when I was picking a moniker or everyone would presume I had balls so when I saw that Tappiano had died that was kind of a tribute to her. Someday I even hope to have an actual picture of her to frame...... I did have a chat with Fappiano when he was at Tartan Farms and gave him a few nice scratches near his right ear.

Any Raise A Native descendant that does not have a true stamina runner in the dam's side seem to be better suited to shorter distance. Forty Niner, on the other hand, has more speed based runners with the presence of speed in the dams pedigree.

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Postby ElPrado » Tue May 22, 2012 10:10 pm

I'm female, I took my name because I was visibly grey at 18. :)

brogers
Allowance Winner

Postby brogers » Wed May 23, 2012 1:23 pm

diomed wrote:
xfactor fan wrote:Names?

Yeah, right? I bet you have to pay for that information. :roll:

It's a little more complex than that. Equinome have an applied patent for the allele so if we offered to sell the information it would be using their IP and we would be slapped with a lawsuit. Also, just volunteering/giving it away is contravening an agreement we made with the owners when we collected the DNA. We agreed that we wouldn't disclose any DNA information with their names in a public forum.

You can work one of the C:C Belmont Stakes winner out pretty easily. His best offspring are sprinters.
Byron Rogers
Performance Genetics
http://performancegenetics.com
Keen Ice...Verrazano...Fontiton...Divisidero...Breaking Lucky...Hoss Amor...

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Wed May 23, 2012 3:08 pm

A new pedigree drive-through is in town. Will it serve numbers, letters, zodiac signs or color-coded tea leaves?