Cardiovascular capacity and racetrack performance

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Postby ElPrado » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:26 am

You don't need the parent's DNA. You already have it.
If you have the horse, it has the parent's DNA. You test the horse.
The horse's DNA is what the parents carried. It is combined in breeding them together.
What shows in the result is the phenotype, which means the look, structure... Genotype is what genes have combined from a mating. Some will show every time they are carried, dominant. Some need to have 2 copies, recessive. Unless you have identical twins, this isn't duplicated.
Any nonsense about the sire contributes such and such and the dam something else is just that, nonsense. As far as I've found in my research, there is nothing sex linked in the horse except that Appaloosas, which I used to breed, may be more brightly colored if they are males.

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:29 am

Genetics are counting at most 30% out of hunderd%, 70% is formed by enviroment. Raising,training, tracks, medication etc.

An blue blooded horse, won,t quarantee you a winner as there are too mnay variables.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Re: inbreeding

Postby Pan Zareta » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:03 am

hpkingjr wrote:Pan:

Please point me to an article or explain about the DNA markers (DNA Markers for Dummies). Would you still not need the info on parents, etc.? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

HPK, your profile says you're an attorney/veterinarian. Perhaps your knowledge of genetics encompasses a bit more than that statement might suggest. :wink:

"Marker" is a rather non-specific term. Mea culpa. More specifically, I mean single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs, positions within the genome at which there is variability within a population). There are chips (microarrays) available with probes imbedded that, when exposed to DNA, determine status at 50K+ SNPs across the equine genome. The level of SNP homozygosity (same SNP on both copies of a chromosome) is a true measure of inbreeding that does not always correlate closely with the degree of inbreeding suggested by pedigree alone.

brogers
Allowance Winner

Postby brogers » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:27 am

Whirlaway wrote:You write in your post, "E-Trakka has not published under peer-review its method of measuring VHRMax within its software so we are not 100% sure that the VHRMax generated by E-Trakka is indeed the actual VHRMax of the horse. Secondly, the sample size was relatively small (21)."

Considering the small sample size and the method used to measure VHRMax has not been verified as accurate what should that tell us about your findings?

Whirlaway,

I brought that up in our post about the paper because I believe it is something that needs to be considered. I don't think that it diminishes the study because there have been other studies that have linked cardio shape/size to VO2Max, and Vo2MAx is correlated to VHRMax, so it is most likely as they found here that there is a correlation between cardio shape/size and VHRMax.

The small sample size is a concern, but that is always the case. You would like to see samples of 100's of horses but in many cases it is not practical/possible.
Byron Rogers
Performance Genetics
http://performancegenetics.com
Keen Ice...Verrazano...Fontiton...Divisidero...Breaking Lucky...Hoss Amor...