Pedigreeann

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Pedigreeann

Postby Jeff » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:42 pm

Pedigreeann, welcome to the Thoroughbred Database forums. Have been reading your posts on and off for the past decade over on the 'other place'. You have forgotten more about The Thoroughbred Horse than anybody else on this forum will ever know to begin with. :)

Loved the photos of your Tobasco Cat mare and her new baby, was wondering who you bred her back to, will go over an search, maybe that info is at the other place. :?:

Regards
Jeff

pedigreeann
Weanling

Postby pedigreeann » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:47 am

Hi, Jeff. Which place? I am Pedigreeann on a number of boards.

Emma (Our Majestic Cat=OMC, middle initial leading me to call her Emma) in in foal to Include. Emma is a half-sister to one of Broad Brush's G1 SWs, a horse called Schossberg, winner of the Jerome and the Iselin, when those were top races. Logic should have led the previous owners to at least try breeding Emma to Broad Brush, but didn't happen before he died. Next best thing to BB himself is a good son, which Include certainly is. Hoping for a filly.

Emma's Janauary 19th filly by Majestic Warrior has been weaned. She's been a big, good-looking girl from the start; Janeen, my friend, agent, and the farm owner where they board, and her foreman Juan keep telling me what a nice filly she is. Hoping that Majestic Warrior keeps coming up with the winners so that she will fetch a good price at Kee in November. Can't afford to keep a foal for racing. Yet.

If you look at Emma's second dam with Deputy Minister in they Hypomating section, you will see that they have a lot of ancestry in common. I would like to try Emma with a horse with Deputy Minister close up, but those are scarce on the ground here in Kentucky anymore. Best shot is Daaher, whose first crop of 5 are 3yos this year and include 2 SWs, including a G2 winner (Gypsy Robin). He won the Jerome and the G1 Cigar Mile, so not a bad runner. Don't know if he's sub-fertile or just unpopular; Emma seems to one who catches easily so..., Still have time to make a decision.
There is no such thing as too much Teddy.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:23 pm

Hi Ann,

Read over on Bighorse when you first bought Emma, when you posted here I went over and found photos of her Majestic Warrior foal, looks just like her mamma. In my opinion, they both resemble Balzac's ancestry of his double dose of Black Tony through Buckpasser and Irish Mail. That dark bay brown color and that absence of white markings, a certain look to that Black Tony clan in my opinion also.

The Include foal should be really nice, and the Daaher breeding looks like it would be awesome! Did the hypo mating with Deputy Minister; looks great.

Just comparing the linebreeding matched with each stallion, I like the one with Majestic Warrior the best, the 4x4 Secretariat and 4x4 Buckpasser just my cup of tea.

Best Regards
Jeff

pedigreeann
Weanling

Postby pedigreeann » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:25 am

Emma had been bred, or so it seems to me, to the 'flavor of the month' stallions, the ones who were getting press at the time, not ones who necessarily matched up well with her. (I can imagine her Tiznow as a hulking 3-mile 'chaser-type.) By luck, they seem to have struck a good cross with Majestic Warrior, producing a nice filly in 'the horselette.' (I am trying not to get attached, since she is scheduled to be sold, so no name for the not-so-little one.)

Emma's produce record isn't terrible, but it isn't particularly noteworthy, either - some winners, one placed, one unraced, one died. She a healthy 14yo, who catches on the first breeding, foaled easily, is a good mama, keeps her flesh when nursing, etc. so I have realistic hopes that I will have several more years to play with matings.

When I looked it up on my APR, I was astonished to see that Emma sold as a yearling for $410,000 at Keeneland September. Her dam's first 5 starters had been winners, 2 SWs (including the one G1 winner) and 2 SP. Tabasco Cat had runners at the time - I don't remember that he had anything special in his early crops - Emma must have been a looker. Love these tough Canadian Windfields-bred/inspired bloodlines; Conn Smyth, a frequent Windfields customer, shaped Emma's family.
There is no such thing as too much Teddy.