Pedigree Advise Here

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:01 pm

Ok I have a broodmare prospect. Madi Two Shoes. She's a half to recent SW Rosa Savalje. Below is a link to her pedigree. I like her family but am not sold on her sire Forest Danger. Any opinions would be appreciated.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/madi+two+shoes

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:06 am

Where (ie: KY or CA) would you look for a stallion?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:25 pm

Just found out this filly is off the market for now.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:47 pm

At first glance... boy CA is chock-a-block with Storm Cat/Mr Prospector stallions. This is one of those "diamond in the box of rhinestones" kind of selections. For this mare, a key for me in planning a mating would be that her family seems to have hit it off with Buckpasser/In Reality line horses. You can't overlook the influence of Forest Danger in the pedigree, so if I had to pick another influence to bring it, it would be Fappiano. This one, for me, would be a gordian knot and a real analysis would be pretty time consuming.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:16 pm

Zinn, in years past this filly may have had some value as a broodmare but not anymore. Thirty years ago I used to claim fillies with worse pedigrees for a few thousand bucks then sell them in KY for 20-35k. Broodmare prospects like this now have a hard time finding an opening bid.

Last year I claimed a gorgeous 3yo 1/2 sister to BORREGO (G1, $2m) for $6,250 at Golden Gate Fields. She's now in foal to Munnings. If you're looking for marketable and more probable good producers you may want to set a concrete criteria and stick to it. It's simply far too easy to be enticed into horses whose values have disintegrated.

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:17 pm

Zinn, in years past this filly may have had some value as a broodmare but not anymore. Thirty years ago I used to claim fillies with worse pedigrees for a few thousand bucks then sell them in KY for 20-35k. Broodmare prospects like this now have a hard time finding an opening bid.

Last year I claimed a gorgeous 3yo 1/2 sister to BORREGO (G1, $2m) for $6,250 at Golden Gate Fields. She's now in foal to Munnings. If you're looking for marketable and more probable good producers you may want to set a concrete criteria and stick to it. It's simply far too easy to be enticed into horses whose values have disintegrated.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:05 pm

Very interesting, pedigree free of Royal Charger line, pretty much a lack of linebreeding, a genuine outcross pedigree, I'd have to agree with Madelyn, the 1/2's by Buckpasser and In Reality look like going that route might be sound.

Just looking at the photo of her sire Forest Danger, it appears to me that he bears some resemblance to his broodmare sire Pleasant Colony, hopefully has some of those genetics too.

Looking at the female family, obviously, it loved HYPERION.

Give Madi some Big Bad Leroybrown, her family loved Hyperion, I think he's got it.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... lor=000000

I really like this pedigree!!!!!! It all lines up.

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:34 pm

The thing that bothers me most about this filly is Forest Danger. Taylor Made sent him packing to the Caribbean. She is a half to a SW filly at Saratoga this summer. This is an old California female family that has produced Graded quality generation over generation. Fortunately or unfortunately the offer for the mare was rescinded..

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:02 am

Zinn,

Sorry your connections rescinded on the offer for Madi Two Shoes, there are many nice prospects available, hopefully you'll find one you like, and we'd be thrilled to offer a pedigree match.

Jeff

smartyslew
Weanling

Postby smartyslew » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:41 pm

jeff,i don't think george smith has updated his gsv scores on the pedigree forum since 2007 if they are the ones you are using.
if you are using the up to date scores from his site or purchased them from him then you are ok

Jeff wrote:No Tappiano, you got it wrong.

But since you'r here, I'll just assume you want me to do a report on your mare Another G and her foal Earthly Delights? :D

http://www.pedigreequery.com/another+g
(USA) dkb/br. M, 2004 DP = 5-2-8-0-1 (16) DI = 2.20 CD = 0.63 - GSV = 59.74 - 17 Starts, 5 Wins, 4 Places, 3 Shows Career Earnings: $95,470 I see she's a dark bay or brown mare, she has 5 brilliant, 2 intermediate, 8 classic, zero show, and 1 professional dosage points for a total of 16 Chef De Race points with a dosage index of 2.20, a center of distribution of .63, and a George William Smith's Genetic Strength Value grasp score of 59.74.
Lovely line-bred 5X5 Ribot through Tom Rolfe, and His Majesty, and Lovely 5X5 Nearctic through sons Northern Dancer and Canadian Bred Briarctic who stood at Windfields.

I see that her 2nd dam, Margaret's Hope is a stakes winner.

By Ecton Park Forty Niner/Danzig stallion, out of Margs My Mom, Air Forbes One (Bold Ruler) / Commorant mare (Ribot).

One foal by Nobiz Like Shobiz and in foal to Artie Schiller, looks like pretty good stallion choices to me.

Jeff

Tappiano wrote:Do I understand correctly that those who do not have a paid subscription here can just put a request in and a paid member will take care of it? Could that be extended to a nine or ten generation pedigree?
:D :D

smartyslew
Weanling

Postby smartyslew » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:43 pm

jeff,i don't think george smith has updated his gsv scores on the pedigree forum since 2007 if they are the ones you are using.
if you are using the up to date scores from his site or purchased them from him then you are ok

Jeff wrote:No Tappiano, you got it wrong.

But since you'r here, I'll just assume you want me to do a report on your mare Another G and her foal Earthly Delights? :D

http://www.pedigreequery.com/another+g
(USA) dkb/br. M, 2004 DP = 5-2-8-0-1 (16) DI = 2.20 CD = 0.63 - GSV = 59.74 - 17 Starts, 5 Wins, 4 Places, 3 Shows Career Earnings: $95,470 I see she's a dark bay or brown mare, she has 5 brilliant, 2 intermediate, 8 classic, zero show, and 1 professional dosage points for a total of 16 Chef De Race points with a dosage index of 2.20, a center of distribution of .63, and a George William Smith's Genetic Strength Value grasp score of 59.74.
Lovely line-bred 5X5 Ribot through Tom Rolfe, and His Majesty, and Lovely 5X5 Nearctic through sons Northern Dancer and Canadian Bred Briarctic who stood at Windfields.

I see that her 2nd dam, Margaret's Hope is a stakes winner.

By Ecton Park Forty Niner/Danzig stallion, out of Margs My Mom, Air Forbes One (Bold Ruler) / Commorant mare (Ribot).

One foal by Nobiz Like Shobiz and in foal to Artie Schiller, looks like pretty good stallion choices to me.

Jeff

Tappiano wrote:Do I understand correctly that those who do not have a paid subscription here can just put a request in and a paid member will take care of it? Could that be extended to a nine or ten generation pedigree?
:D :D

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:42 pm

http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php? ... lor=000000

Big Bad Leroybrown, not only a good pedigree match for Madi Two Shoes, but he's got a nice outcross pedigree for most mares today.

I'd be tempted to send him a mare myself if it weren't for the distance.

Jeff

ps; I doubt the GSV scores have changed much in 5 years :D

smartyslew
Weanling

Postby smartyslew » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:40 pm

jeff the gsv scores have changed a lot in the last 5 years.
notably the first,second and third crop sires of 5 years ago.
they start with a grasp score of 27 before their first crop and
the good ones go up and the bad ones don't move.
the older sires have had 5 more crops to score and that can change a lot. my last numbers from george was in 2011 and no way i'm putting them on here.go ahead and keep using them old numbers ,imho they are tainted numbers and the same goes for the conduit mare profiles
are out dated on this site.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:16 am

The GSV scores that I posted have not changed.

Jeff

smartyslew
Weanling

Postby smartyslew » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:55 pm

they haven't changed in 5 years on the pedigree site
go to the gsv site and compare where they are updated twice a year
by george smith the gsv guru.
your info might be free, but its wrong.