Superior and good mares,producers

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Superior and good mares,producers

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:20 am

I was doing some paperwork the other day and was putting away jockey club papers in a box.I was looking at the pedigree of that old mare eating grass in the field with my ancient track pony.name is Brin d'Acier.She is a rescue (I bought her dam in foal at Woodbine and sold it,then rescued both mare and yearling from meat auction later).So to make a short story she has been on my bill for over 20 years,I had her leased a few times,now she is just a pasture ornament.Anyway looking at her pedigree I was impressed that almost all of the mares are producers,nice names there/quite interesting.She had a few foals for others when leased mostly for riding horses,one quarter horse, and almost all of them are or have been eventers,never was bred to a racehorse except once and foal died at 2 weeks.all the foals from all different sires were carbon copy of sire..any comments?and no she won't be bred,only small talk.
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:28 am

Yes I have one too, she's 21. FF of hard knocking runners but not much class. She's a Graustark granddaughter, a pedigree full of great old names. What's really fun is to plug her in to stallion match at www.g1goldmine.com. The 20/20 mating alert comes up on a lot of stallions. She was bred once, aborted and never rebred for a few good reasons. I bought her as a 4yr old event prospect. It's amazing how one horse can impact your whole life. :)

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:23 pm

Diane does that website require you to be a member? I tried logging in to no avail.

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:40 pm

zinn21 wrote:Diane does that website require you to be a member? I tried logging in to no avail.

Goldmine is a subscription service. I find it usefull although it does have shortcomings in not having enough stallions subscribed in the system.
They were thinking at one time of having a fee to pay for info on stallions not in the system, hope they will do that.
One of its most useful features is the ability to put any horse, male or female, into a gridlike pedigree and find out how successful those crosses have been in a pedigree.
On the Harris Farms website you can use one of their stallions with any broodmare and get a sample of one of the features of Goldmine.

Diane

G1Goldmine

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:42 am

http://www.g1goldmine.com/index.aspx
Using stallion match is free but you only get subscribed stallions.