Question regarding siblings on pedigree

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

fattire16
Newborn

Question regarding siblings on pedigree

Postby fattire16 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:52 am

If you search the horse DISCOVERY9 over 6 gens, you'll notice dotted lines underneath BIG HURY and BESIEGED signifying that they're 1/2 sisters. I'm curious why BUSINESSLIKE isn't also dotted, seeing as she shares the same dam (LA TROIENNE) as the other two? On BIG HURY's full sibling report you can see BESIEGED and BUSINESSLIKE are listed as siblings. So is this simply an error in the pedigree report?

Thanks!

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:10 pm

When I pull up a 6gen for Discovery9 I'm seeing a dotted line under all three.

fattire16
Newborn

Postby fattire16 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:32 am

Thanks for the info. It looks like my browser was having issues. IE displayed the borders just fine.

I have another question. From what I've read on other websites, half siblings are typically defined as two horses with the same dam (two horses with the same sire aren't considered half siblings). However, in Pedigree Query's "how to" page for reading pedigrees I saw this blurb:

Half siblings are those that either share two grandparents or have the same dam.

So does this mean that two horses are considered 1/2 siblings if they share, for example, the same sire's dam and dam's sire? If so, could I see a few examples? I've tried looking this up online but I didn't see anything that considers two animals half siblings if they share exactly two similar grandparents through both their sire and dam. Is this definition exclusive to Pedigree Query or maybe thoroughbreds in general? Or is it for all animals? Or maybe it's a typo on the help page (I doubt it)?

Thanks for your help!