Some Bottom Line Granddam Surprises

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Some Bottom Line Granddam Surprises

Postby Patuxet » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Adrian Parry posted the following on tb_breeding_theory@yahoogroups:

I've had a quick look at the dam's dam's sire position (eg Rainbow Quest is in that position for Frankel). I restricted the search to horses 2006-2009. Some results I didn't expect.

I found Nureyev there on 426 occasions but in only 1 stakes winner.

The Minstrel 232 times but in only 1 stakes winner.

Danehill 159 times for 1 stakes winner

Mr Prospector 684 times for just 4 stakes winners.

At the other end we have Never Bend occurs 43 times and 9 stakes

Indeed horses like Plugged Nickle, Quadratic, Cormorant all 8/41 are much more successful.

I'm really confused about Mr P because he's good as a broodmare sire but seems rubbish as a mares broodmare sire.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:22 am

And that is because how many of those mares were bred to AP Indy?

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:35 pm

How many stallions did you run in this study? Or did you just look at the horses that were named?

stancaris
Restricted Stakes Winner

second damsire of what population?

Postby stancaris » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:36 pm

Patuxet: What population did that study involve? All stakes winners, alll winners of Grade 1 stakes ? or what?

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:45 pm

Address questions directly to Adrian Parry at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tb_breeding_theory/

It's a group which he developed for the discussion of theories pertaining to the breeding of a superior racehorse.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:24 am

An explanation for the results.

I asked Adrian: "What, other than year of birth, determined/characterized the groups you analyzed? Allison"

He answered: "Nothing. I just looked at all the horses I had in database in recent years to see who their dam's dam's sires where.
I just wanted to see who appears there most in current pedigrees. I expected Mr Prospector to appear most. So that was no surprise, I didn't expect him to be in so few stakes winners in that position. Regards, AP"

Rob added that: "Mr. Prospector had much better results in that position roughly a decade earlier, in North America. An analysis by David Dink showed Mr. P less common in that position in 1995-97, but with 39/379 SWs. His sire, Raise a Native, was the most common in that position, with 30/747 SWs. Doing even better than Mr. P were Bold Reasoning, 5/37, Hoist the Flag, 39/294, and good old Never Bend, 43/416.
Of the 20 sires found most often in that position, the least good performer was Intentionally, 3/87. Rob"

Yesterday Adrian posted that he'd found a programming error which explained the skewed results.

"I'm a daft sod. Just spent 20 minutes looking at the programming logic and there is not an error there. However, something that seemed odd was that no-one had more than 9 stakes winners and that supplied the light bulb moment. I checked the database and I was using 1 digit to store the stakes winning count .. so 9 + 1 became 0 etc.'
'During those years Mr Prospector was in position 684 times. 46 of them were Group winners so much more like what I expected.'.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:34 pm

the world is back in balance... I know the pitfalls of programming...

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.