Inbreeding to Numbered Account in California Chrome’s Ped

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

hpkingjr

Re: Inbreeding to Numbered Account in California Chrome’s Pe

Postby hpkingjr » Wed May 21, 2014 3:09 am

I always enjoy your posts. Thanks.
Give the Pope and the King of England a horse and in thirty days, they'll be stealing halters.

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Wed May 21, 2014 10:20 am

Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

brogers
Allowance Winner

Postby brogers » Thu May 22, 2014 9:31 am

There are 11 mares that are 3x3 to Numbered Account that have racing produce. Their combined produce record reads 29 foals of racing age for 2 stakes winners – California Chrome and Great Love, a Listed winner. If there were “magic beans” to be found in the mares that were 3x3 cross to Numbered Account, then producing a horse like California Chrome would be a repeatable event which it is clearly not as there is a long way in racing class between California Chrome and Great Love and there are 27 other horses who are not California Chrome.

Look elsewhere for the explanation of Chrome's greatness...
Byron Rogers
Performance Genetics
http://performancegenetics.com
Keen Ice...Verrazano...Fontiton...Divisidero...Breaking Lucky...Hoss Amor...

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Thu May 22, 2014 10:49 am

Look elsewhere for the explanation of Chrome's greatness...

I'd say his sire is the 21st century Smokester--California stallion who is WAY outbreeding his own pedigree and race record.

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Thu May 22, 2014 1:24 pm

Byron

I am not agreeing with nor disagreeing with an inbreeding to Numbered Account, however, TrueNicks generates many A ratings based on a similar strike rate. 2 for 29 is way above average for the breed and of course we should consider the environmental aspects of the other 27 horses involved.

DDT

brogers
Allowance Winner

Postby brogers » Thu May 22, 2014 2:07 pm

DDT wrote:TrueNicks generates many A ratings based on a similar strike rate.

TrueNicks doesn't just consider the strike rate of the cross, it considers all other opportunity before it creates a rating. So if you fairly wanted to compare apples-to-apples in terms of how TrueNicks is calculated you would need to know how each of the stallions of those 29 foals have done when bred to all other mares (not 3x3 Numbered Account).
Byron Rogers
Performance Genetics
http://performancegenetics.com
Keen Ice...Verrazano...Fontiton...Divisidero...Breaking Lucky...Hoss Amor...

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Thu May 22, 2014 2:18 pm

Byron

I was not making any type of comparison as to how TrueNicks works, I only said that the ratio that generated your comments does not eliminate an A rating using TrueNicks, as usual, you can dish it out but cannot take it the other way which should be if it is good for TrueNicks it should be good for all aspects of stakes winning percentages.

DDT

hpkingjr

Postby hpkingjr » Thu May 22, 2014 7:43 pm

When I checked our data base (and I don't swear to the completeness or accuracy) there are about 340 horses inbred to Numbered Account 5x5 or closer. There are about 30 black type horses in the list. Not bad but certainly not extraordinary.
Give the Pope and the King of England a horse and in thirty days, they'll be stealing halters.

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sat May 24, 2014 8:03 am

Rommy

I suppose that you do not charge for your consulting and are immune to collecting fees for your advice. Your one and only post to this forum is a swipe at Byron, real professional and not self-serving in the least. You could have simply said that just maybe California Chrome's dam, with her RF in tow could be a primary reason for his success as a runner. I personally am not a big fan of any nicking system, however, TrueNicks can be utilized as a starting point, if desired, free of charge, so what is your real beef all about, care to enlighten us? I, on the other hand, stated my beef with his statement as to the 2 out of 29 stakes winners.

DDT

Rommy post deleted by moderator. Personal attacks are not allowed. Please check the rules before the attack.