inbreeding to storm cat

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

johnrr88
Weanling

inbreeding to storm cat

Postby johnrr88 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:25 am

Friends:
I'm sure this has been a topic of discussion before on this board but i cant research it through the search feature very well and would appreciate opinions by others who may have the current dope...
The conventional wisdom seems to be not to inbreed to Storm Cat . I have a mare out of a decent family, whose sire is the underrated Lion Heart (still in Turkey?)....She wasn't so much as runner as we were always trying to hold her together.... she carried a flaw of her Dam ( turned in left front) but was an honest claimer at the lower levels in Louisiana.

I am considering breeding her to Half Ours which would give me Storm Cat 3x4 in the center of the pedigree. The Half Ours foals I've seen are muscular , smart and generally sound. This would give her three strains of Mr. P in the 5th gen.

Any thought on having Storm Cat 3x4?

hpkingjr

Re: inbreeding to storm cat

Postby hpkingjr » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:03 am

Searching the database here shows about a 5.5 percent black type in the progeny inbred 5x5 or closer. I don't believe all progeny make it into our database.
Give the Pope and the King of England a horse and in thirty days, they'll be stealing halters.

brogers
Allowance Winner

Postby brogers » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:17 pm

In that exact position of storm Cat as it would appear in the hypothetical, the full data according to Equineline stats is

15 starters
9 Winners
2 SW

Both the stakes winners are by Speightstown.

You do realize that the actual racing talent of the mare will have more influence on the outcome than any clever pattern that you might think of don't you?
Byron Rogers
Performance Genetics
http://performancegenetics.com
Keen Ice...Verrazano...Fontiton...Divisidero...Breaking Lucky...Hoss Amor...

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:48 am

+1 Byron stop before you say too much most people can't handle the plain and simple truth.
Edited by Moderator

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:56 pm

I would have to question the wisdom of breeding a crooked mare to ANYTHING by Unbridled's Song but most especially to the particularly fragile Half Ours. That is the glaring factor, Storm Cat crossings are the red herring here.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Mon May 08, 2017 5:11 pm

[quote="madelyn"]I would have to question the wisdom of breeding a crooked mare to ANYTHING by Unbridled's Song but most especially to the particularly fragile Half Ours. That is the glaring factor, Storm Cat crossings are the red herring here.[/quote]

And successful inbreeding is "superior individuals" so just think for a minute
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...