Lady Lightfoot

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

nferro9925
Grade III Winner

Lady Lightfoot

Postby nferro9925 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:23 pm

I was doing some research on old American pedigrees and came across this for Lady Lightfoot and her daughter Black Maris.

"He (American Eclipse) was bred to Lady Lightfoot, who had been purchased by John Stevens, in 1825, and she produced a black filly the following spring, then died two days later. The filly, named Black Maria, raced for Stevens, and became known as the Twenty Mile Mare after defeating Trifle in a grueling match which required five separate heats of four miles to decide the winner. "

According to the database, Lady Lightfoot had 3 more foals after Black Maria. How can i confirm a date of death?

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Re: Lady Lightfoot

Postby Pan Zareta » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:29 am

nferro9925 wrote:I was doing some research on old American pedigrees and came across this for Lady Lightfoot and her daughter Black Maris.

"He (American Eclipse) was bred to Lady Lightfoot, who had been purchased by John Stevens, in 1825, and she produced a black filly the following spring, then died two days later. The filly, named Black Maria, raced for Stevens, and became known as the Twenty Mile Mare after defeating Trifle in a grueling match which required five separate heats of four miles to decide the winner. "

According to the database, Lady Lightfoot had 3 more foals after Black Maria. How can i confirm a date of death?

ASB 1:616 states that Lady Lightfoot died a few days after her 1834 foal was dropped. That foal was a bay filly, Young Lady Lightfoot, by Am. Eclipse. (She also had several foals not shown in the db.)

EyeforGlory
Weanling

Postby EyeforGlory » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:12 pm

I have a book that has a story about Black Maria. My book says lady lightfoot died two days after Black Maria was born. She was raced up to 9 years old and retired to Tennesse and had some foals.
avator: Bellamy Road

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:23 pm

EyeforGlory wrote:I have a book that has a story about Black Maria. My book says lady lightfoot died two days after Black Maria was born. She was raced up to 9 years old and retired to Tennesse and had some foals.

What are the title & author of the book, and what source is cited for the information about Lady Lightfoot? The info on her post Black Maria produce in the ASB is very specific.

EyeforGlory
Weanling

Postby EyeforGlory » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:59 am

Thoroughbreds by Barbara Berry
avator: Bellamy Road

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:24 am

Amberlynn, the book is in error, whatever the author's source. Lady Lightfoot did die shortly after a foaling a filly, but that filly was not Black Maria. She had six foals after Black Maria was born, including the very well known Shark and Bay Maria who are well documented by pedigree in multiple contemporaneous sources.

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:32 am

Lady Lightfoot raced until she was 11 years of age, and after retiring to stud, produced 8 foals in 9 years. Black Maria was not her last foal, as Pan Zareta noted above.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes