Any of these show broody potential?

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Any of these show broody potential?

Postby Shannon » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:13 pm

Any Broody prospects here?
Bechmark x Benchrun
Gleichen Reserve x Regal Intention
Regal Jem x Regal Remark
Catfish Alley x On Target
Wrath of my Fury x Dayjur

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:56 am

This is a fairly decent bunch on pedigree -- all around 62-63 as far as GSV goes.

Benchrun has a nice set of sires along the damline, not to mention her own sire Benchmark, who is a nice young regional sire. However, this pedigree says "needs time to mature and probably wants distance" to me, and I am wondering if the lack of success in Benchrun's racing career may be due to having been rushed too soon (always a hazard with a late-maturing, distance-liking type). Runaway Barb, her dam, apparently had some ability (SSI of 2.21) but did not win although she placed in half her ten starts, perhaps suggesting unwillingness to leave the herd or some other mental issue rather than lack of enough ability to win. Racing charts might help give a better line on her performances.

Runaway Barb has a poor produce record, although in fairness she has been bred to sires with less than grand records for much of her career. She is herself a half sister to two stakes winners and to two other horses whose SSIs suggest at least allowance ability. The next dam, Barbsie, was sent to Europe as a juvenile and has no race record in the APR. There is no black type among her siblings, but her dam Oil Royalty was a good race mare who won stakes from ages three to six and would be a multiple graded winner by modern standards. As Runaway Barb has had about her best runner (which I'm afraid isn't saying much) by Bertrando and Benchrun's sire Benchmark has been doing very well with Bertrando mares, Bertrando or one of his sons would be a direction I might look at in breeding this mare if I had her.

Gleichen Reserve's race record suggests a reasonable level of soundness, whch is always nice. She is definitely a sprinter by preference and is about the best runner produced by her dam, Bold Reserve. Bold Reserve was a poor runner herself but is a half sister to two decent sprint stakes winners. The next dam, Bold Reserve, never raced and has nothing of much note among her siblings; her dam Reserve Note was a winner but also is from an undistinguished bunch of sibs. This pedigree has a more regional flavor to it than does Benchrun's and might be less marketable if this mare is to be bred for the sales.

Regal Jem is only the third foal of her dam and is a half sister to a minor stakes winner, which would look a little better on a catalog page than having the black type under the second dam. However, her dam Mystic Jem was a bottom-level winner and her dam Kowaliga Kitty, a similar winner, hasn't produced anything better. Kowaliga Kitty is a half sister to G3 winner Fuller's Folly and to a couple of allowance-level horses. The next dam, Eastman Star, was a decent stakes winner at four and a half sister to a restricted stakes winner on the New England circuit.

Catfish Alley is interesting. She improved signifcantly from two to three and has won up to at least 1-1/16 miles from what I can gather. She is a half sister to a stakes-placed runner with a respectable record. Her dam Darling Cat is unraced without much black type among her siblings but is a half sis to three horses whose SSIs suggest allowance-level ability. The next dam, Our Darling, was a G1-placed stakes winner, and her dam Deb's Darling (out of champion 2yo filly Smart Deb) was stakes-placed and a half sis to SW Logical, a very good sire in Argentina.

Wrath of My Fury is a winning half sister to Furious Cat, a pretty solid allowance horse who may yet pick up some black type given that the Tabasco Cats often seem to need some time. She has a very well-bred younger half sister in Wood Ificouldfly (by Woodman), so this may be worth some consideration if breeding to sell is an issue. Her dam Haleys Fury is a winning half sister to stakes winner Elrafa Ah, but has a lot of unraced and very lightly raced half sibs, suggesting that some soundness issues passed from her dam Bubbles Darlene may be at play. Haleys Fury has several well-bred younger half sisters, though, so there is the possibility that this family will appreciate in value depending on who's got the sisters and how they are bred. Bubbles Darlene is a winning half sister to two listed stakes winners, and her dam Moment's Prayer is a half sister to three stakes winners.

Hope the information helps in making any decisions. My leanings would be towards Benchrun, Catfish Alley, and Wrath of My Fury (no particular order), but of course you'd want to evaluate them for conformation as well before making any choices. (Rule of thumb: if you wouldn't want a foal that looks like the mare, don't buy the mare!)

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Mahubah

Postby Bill from WA » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:33 am

Great analysis.

Bill

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:47 am

Thanks!

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:01 pm

Thanks very much. Wrath of my Fury sold at the CTHS Vancouver sale for $8500 canadian. The rest are still racing at the claiming levels. Looking to maybe oneday claim a mare. At the rate I am going with my horses right now, that may be awhile coming! Thanks again.

Keith
Grade III Winner

I would go with mares that can run.

Postby Keith » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:09 am

Gleichen Reserve may be weaker on pedigree but she has made the most money and would be one I would consider. I prefer a mare that can run but an outstanding pedigree may be hard to pass up but none of these mares have outstanding pedigrees. Benchrun has a decent pedigree but she isn't one that I would claim for $7,000.

Keith

sstacy19
Allowance Winner

Postby sstacy19 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:45 pm

hey Mahubah,
care to take a crack at my girls?
Tousle by Jaklin klugman
bobbie gene
command sunset
love bench
paid the price
starigawaywhirl
forever on sunday
claims to be good
I hear voices
and should I breed them to my stallion or an outside boy? I know that there are alot of mares you don't have to answer all of them of course well you don't have to answer at all if you don't want to..you just did such a great job on those other mares that I would love to hear what you thought! :D thanks
stacy
http://fatchancefarm.tripod.com
"The blood runs hot in the Thoroughbred and the courage runs deep.
In the best of them, pride is limitless. This is their heritage and
they carry it like a banner. What they have, they use."

---C. W. Anderson

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:40 am

Tousle is a modest winner, reasonably durable, and not fussy about fast or muddy footing. She stayed at least a mile but I am guessing did not want much more than that as her speed figures are better sprinting. She is about the best runner produced by her dam Ruffmeup so far. Ruffmeup in turn showed a fairly similar level of ability but made only six starts. She is a half sister to a minor SW in Con Way and a durable claimer in Dooncon (58 starts), but the bulk of Ruff Con's progeny record makes me wonder if she wasn't throwing some sort of soundness issues.

Tousle's pedigree is interesting in that it contains a lot of old California lines, but I don't see her as having much potential to produce runners beyond the lower levels. Her female family seems to have produced best to the *Nasrullah/Bold Ruler male line, and this is where I would probably look if deciding to breed her. Cobra King would be an interesting match on paper since this would be similar to the mating that produced Con Story, but I have no idea how he matches up physically with this mare and that would have to be checked out.

Considering that Bobbie Gene is by a pretty weak sire, she hasn't done too badly as a four-race winner. She is a half sister to a minor stakes winner by Marfa (hello Cobra King again?), and her dam Sparkling Bounty was fairly sound if not very talented. The third dam, Glitter Hitter, was a pretty good runner who won two stakes and ran third in the Hollywood Oaks (G1). A Slew-line sire might be a good choice if Cobra King doesn't seem suitable for conformation or financial reasons.

I'm surprised Command Sunset doesn't seem to have been tried on turf, which would seem a natural given her sire. She is the result of a fish-and-fowl mating between a confirmed stayer and a very good sprinter in her dam Arg High Command, a multiple GSW in Argentina, so I would wonder how well the biomechanics came out here. The next dam, Merry Command, was a minor SW and a half sister to another minor SW, so this would be a fairly nice-looking catalog page if you are thinking of trying for a commercial foal. I would tend to look towards the Northern Dancer line for this mare, trying a reverse of the sire/broodmare sire line cross that has been very successful for Sunshine Forever's close relative Brian's Time in Japan.

Love Bench is hard to figure out. She's unraced, and her dam and granddam so far haven't produced anything worth the stud fees despite being bred to good sires for the most part -- but that second dam is a French G1 winner. There is a lot of stamina in the pedigree, and my gut feeling is that a sire with genuine speed is probably needed here. Bertrando could be a pick, reversing the cross of Benchmark on Bertrando daughters that has shown some real promise. An Unbridled son would also be interesting, but there just aren't any to speak of in California. Too bad Malabar Gold isn't out that way instead of in Kentucky; he's quite an interesting cross on paper.

I'm running out of steam, so I'll try to take a look at the others later. What's your stallion's name, since my memory isn't producing the answer?
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

sstacy19
Allowance Winner

Postby sstacy19 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:05 pm

wow you are great! thanks! My stallion is Georgia Crown.

---C. W. Anderson

sstacy19
Allowance Winner

Postby sstacy19 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:07 pm

ps I am in Michigan not California..lol just have a few cali breds. :wink:

---C. W. Anderson

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:09 pm

:oops: I should have noticed the Michigan byline -- paying more attention to the mares than to the owner!

Paid the Price is unraced and by an undistinguished sire -- too bad he didn't take more after his daddy Affirmed. Her dam Koketka couldn't win in seven starts but is a full sister to an Italian G3 winner and a French SW. The next dam, Stolen Date, is a half sister to Broodmare of the Year Best In Show and to stakes winner Journalist (who is by Nashua and so a three-parts brother to Koketka). I might try a sire from the Northern Dancer/Mr. Prospector cross or Seattle Slew/Mr. Prospector here, but I would definitely want a horse that had a race record promising some soundness given the records of Paid the Price and Koketka.

Starighaway Whirl also did not race, but her dam is a very minor SW and a half sister to a G3 winner and a multiple SW in Illinois restricted stakes. If I could (and if the conformation match was suitable), I'd get her to Slew City Slew, who is a good sire any way you slice it and who likes returns of Ambiorix in his mates. Failing that, the Bold Ruler line is where I would look for this mare since her sire Island Whirl got some of his best runners from Bold Ruler-line mares -- going for the reverse cross here.

Not much in the first few generations with Forever On Sunday, but I'm guessing from her APR record that she was about an allowance-level filly. Binalong looks like a nice match on paper, but conformation would have to be checked.

Not much along the damline for Claims To Be Good, either, but I notice her dam is a half sister to a pretty quick allowance horse by the In Reality son American Standard. Binalong (an In Reality grandson) makes a very interesting match indeed with her due to the 3x4 cross to the good broodmare Tamerett, but I would want a very good conformation match here because the mating is also 4x4x5 Raise a Native -- that's speed but also tendencies towards soundness problems.

One question I'd have about I Hear Voices is whether she has the blocky conformation shown in Paranoide's stallion photos -- matching this guy up with an Assert mare must have been quite a mix of body types considering that Assert mostly sired horses that wanted some distance. I'd tend to want to head back towards the middle here with a miler type, probably from the Mr. Prospector line given the strains of Northern Dancer and a Nashua son. Kitchen, the second dam, is a minor SW and a half sister to a couple of horses of similar class.

Georgia Crown was a tough boy, wasn't he? Certainly has an interesting pedigree. I'd want to avoid further Northern Dancer in his mares, but the Seattle Slew, Hail to Reason, and Caro lines might suit him well.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

capttim
Newborn

Postby capttim » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:24 pm

Mahubah,
You've done a good job on those mares.... hate to ask you for more! But if you get the time, give these a look.

Larusa X Buckaroo
Schaller Haller X Emigrant Peak
La Viva X Boones Mill

Thanks!!! Enjoyed reading your stuff.