I Dont understand! Help...

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

clafairy
Weanling

I Dont understand! Help...

Postby clafairy » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:24 am

I have been looking at my girlies pedigree (Amberglen)- interested to hear that she had war admiral and man o war in there somewhere - I dont really understand it all though, Ive looked at the help options but decided it would probably help me if /i had ever seen anything like this before in my life! Can someone else help please... :?

I dont Think she has raced or bred before which threw me - I expected her to have been bred for one of these purposes...? I would like to know whether thats just because I have looked in the wrong places though really.

Also - There are alot of numbers and things I dont get, Is her breeding pretty good or just average. Could someone tell me a bit more?

Very gratefull for any info received as she is now in foal and would like to have info for that reason, also, Im trying to have the next nine months pass as quickly as poss so this is keeping me busy! :D

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:12 am

Well congrats on getting a 17 yo in foal! Hopefully she has passed her checkpoints and will deliver a healthy baby. Just because progeny is not listed doesn't mean she wasn't bred. This database is a publicly maintained one and it is possible no one has data on that, or that she was bred for another purpose (warmblood, appendix, etc.). Only TB babies would be here. As for her breeding I see more sport horse potential there (depends on the mare physically) than racehorse but really one of the UK members would be far more familiar with her family.

Regarding the pedigree, across the top are numbers relating to her Dosage Profile (DP) which is a calculation of the number of stallions in her pedigree that have been named "chefs de race". That is noted by letters in square brackets in the boxes of those stallions (ie: [BC]) and the letters stand for words - Brilliant, Classic, Intermediate, Solid, Professional.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

clafairy
Weanling

Postby clafairy » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:55 am

hi madelyn, thanks again for your speedy response its very helpful.

I know her previous owner as she has a freezemark that I traced when I bought her - Amberglen was my present to myself on my 18th birthday and for christmas I got a surprise letter from her last owner! Fantastic. She was bought from a notorious (not for good reasons) dealers in UK so that was the only trace I had. She had a foal with that owner 8 years ago and he was a lovely Appyx sports horse in the making.

The first 6 1/2 years of her life were a mystery to us both though and I am keeping her updated as we go along as we were both interested to try and find out if she had been raced. Its taken me a very long time to get this far as ive had her years now myself so...

Thanks again!

Any more info welcome!!