AMERICAN FAMILY 48

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

AMERICAN FAMILY 48

Postby Shammy Davis » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:14 am

What can anybody tell me about this female line. Significant stallions and mares? Foundation mare? Turf, dirt, and/or chase?

nferro9925
Grade III Winner

Postby nferro9925 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:53 pm

Who was the foundation mare or a descendant?
Everything I have only goes up to Amer Fam # 39
I also checked the tbheritage database and they do not list A48.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:14 pm

Bobinski numbered American families 1-39. Over double that number have been subsequently numbered for research purposes - "the little (lower case) a's". a48 is almost undoubtedly of English origin. The tap(s) are Byrd's imported mares Express and Roxana. Chris Matthes has some informed speculation regarding their origin online:
http://www.stallionsoftware.com/byrdmares.htm
This family is still active, prolific (for one of the 'little a's'), and productive. See:
http://www.bloodlines.net/TB/Families/AmericanFamilies/Familya48.htm
or call up a female family report from the db here.

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:18 pm

Thanks so much for the information. A friend of mine has come across a mare from this line. From first glance, the tail female looks innocuous, but she was a sturdy consistent winner for 6 years and whose top line was quite good. My general filling about weak tail female is to pass over a mare like this, but this gal looks very nice. Further her pedigree carries Lexington further back at her American foundation roots. He was no slouch as a racer or stud. He also caused a very big disagreement between British and American Jockey Clubs. That dispute was resolved by the New Jersey Act. Very good history to read, I think. I like that. Further, I'm a VA history enthusiast and it was Virginians like the Tayloes, Byrds, Goodes, Lees, and many more who first stood the foundations that later formed the building blocks of the American Thoroughbred, QH, standardbred, and Morgan. Of course, they were at that time indistinguishable as breeds. Nothing gives more enjoyment than relating contemporary thoroughbreds back to their American foundations. Thanks again. :wink: