This is disturbing

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

NorthStar
Allowance Winner

This is disturbing

Postby NorthStar » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:19 pm

Found this through a link on EquineNow.com banner ad.

This poor mare is 21 y/o and blind and is being offered for free. Does anyone know these people?

This seems a frightening thought for a 21 y/o blind mare to be in this position.

Baby. 21 year old Quarter Horse Mare. Calm. Sweet. 14.2 hands. Would make an excellent lunge horse or gentle lesson horse. We do not have her on site, but I will get a picture up of her as soon as possible. She NEEDS A HOME ASAP!!! The person sponsoring her is out of funds and we don't have space or money to bring her here. She is Blind in both eyes. She can still be ridden in the ring and from what I here about here she does extremely well with her disablity. She is free to a good home. Please fill out an application to receiver her.

http://beechmontstables.homestead.com/HorsesAvail.html

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Postby Heidilady » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:27 pm

I really hope someone can get this mare to a good home. She's primed for a bad situation with being blind and a senior citizen. I've ridden a mare who's nearly blind, it's possible she's still able to be a pleasant little horse in a ring with a good rider but not just anybody. The wrong person could get hurt. A friend of mine rode the same horse I did, asked her to take the turn a little too sharply, and the mare had no idea it wasn't a good idea so next thing you know they both end up taking a spill.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:06 am

instead of putting her back in a school/lesson program they should really onsider putting her down. I hate to say it, but it has to be 100x more difficult for a BLIND horse to re adjust to a situation.

Jane
Allowance Winner

Postby Jane » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:09 am

I will never understand people. They are not doing this horse a favor by giving it away, if I couldn't afford to feed this handicapped animal any longer I'd put a needle into it before giving it away. There is virtually no market for sound young horses, what do you think this old blind horse would end up going through? Not to mention the safety factor for the people around a confused upset sightless horse....

NorthStar
Allowance Winner

Postby NorthStar » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:21 am

Does anyone know how to get this to the Friends of Barbaro? I'm not that internet savvy and I can't find the forum the FOB's frequent.

Maybe they can put their heads together to find a compassionate solution for this mare. They seem to work a lot of miracles and this poor mare seems to have few humans able to do much to help her.

This mare needs people willing to help her find a compassionate solution.

I agree with the feelings of most here, that it would be horrid for the mare to try to adjust to a new situation, even if there is some miracle wonderful situation to take her in. (Althouth I sure would want those who can, at least try for that miracle situation. But she can't just be "given" to someone, without stellar references and reputation, or she will surely end up in a kill pen. That would be beyond cruel to do to her.

Maybe the F.O.B.'s could find temporary help for the woman who has her (as an alternative to buy her time), but this requires experienced people trying to help this mare, to be sure the mare truly gets the help she needs.

Does anyone know how to cross-post this to the FOB's?

Thanks.

Lisann
Allowance Winner

Postby Lisann » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:36 am

I'd crosspost it, but my internet connection is uber-slow.

Friends of Barbaro forum:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/alexbrown/start

nythoroughbredvz
Allowance Winner

Postby nythoroughbredvz » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:31 am

as you stated Northstar..
This mare needs people willing to help her find a compassionate solution.

I agree with Crystal, pute the poor girl down humanely treat her body with respect and take care of her propperly, want to be compassionate! pay for the vet call have her pute down, and find someone to offer a place for her to lay in peace..and a excavating company to assist in placing her in that peacefull resting place.. i dont get it!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:19 am

This is SUCH BULLSHIT!!! The owner needs to put the mare down if they can no longer care for her. Period. End of Story.

I am fed up to the teeth with a**holes that won't step up to the plate and take FULL responsibility for their animals and want to just dump them on some poor unsuspecting do-gooder who likely has NO freaking idea what they are getting themselves into. And the horse ends up suffering.

I got a call this morning, someone looking for a "good caring home" for a broken down 4 year old gelding who has probably been shot up with so many steroids to run past the chips in his knee that he is full of 'roid rage. He will NEVER be sound, and currently attacks his OWN PEOPLE. Those people should be banned from ever buying a TB again. For heaven's sake, call the vet and PUT THE ANIMAL DOWN.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Postby Shergar » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:29 am

madelyn wrote:This is SUCH BULLSHIT!!! The owner needs to put the mare down if they can no longer care for her. Period. End of Story.

I am fed up to the teeth with a**holes that won't step up to the plate and take FULL responsibility for their animals and want to just dump them on some poor unsuspecting do-gooder who likely has NO freaking idea what they are getting themselves into. And the horse ends up suffering.

I got a call this morning, someone looking for a "good caring home" for a broken down 4 year old gelding who has probably been shot up with so many steroids to run past the chips in his knee that he is full of 'roid rage. He will NEVER be sound, and currently attacks his OWN PEOPLE. Those people should be banned from ever buying a TB again. For heaven's sake, call the vet and PUT THE ANIMAL DOWN.

Amen Sister.

It is cruel to allow this horse to live in pain and rage.

Shergar

nythoroughbredvz
Allowance Winner

Postby nythoroughbredvz » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:11 pm

I totally agree, sometimes life can be more cruel than death! and to have a save the world do-gooder add to it is more cruel than puting them down... I was in Montana one year at the DNR headquarters in Helena, and anti hunters got a permit to protest hunting on federal land.. hundreds of them decided to bang pots ans pans through the national forest to scare the deer and elk away from the hunters! needless to say it was a record kill for the day, the year, and the region because of their efforts. then came back to complain that the hunters shot the animals when they were trying to scare them away from them,, i still dont get it!

NorthStar
Allowance Winner

Postby NorthStar » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:20 pm

madelyn wrote:This is SUCH BULLSHIT!!! The owner needs to put the mare down if they can no longer care for her. Period. End of Story.

Agree that is likely the best way to guarantee no cruelty will befall this mare, at the hands of another. But I can also understand (not agree with) the ability of some people to feel safer believing they are doing less harm by trying to find a home for such an animal.

There are many people that feel putting a standing, functioning animal down is an unforgivable act, including some Vets, but those same people can accept that mare ending up at slaughter.

To me, the thought of that mare being turned over to anyone who isn't ready willing and able to put the mare down or provide a dedicated home, is a certain sentence of ending up with someone who will sell her for meat and the only thing she will know is incredible terror and separation anxiety, magnified tenfold because of her blindness.

That anyone could even imagine there is much else in store for this mare, is difficult to fathom, unless they are committed to keep her safe until such a saint comes along; a saint like the owner in the "story" about the blind horse and the horse with the bell to guide her.

What bothers me most is the part about offering the mare for "FREE". I understand the concept of no one wanting to pay for such a mare, but does the person posting the ad understand the world we live in?

Admittedly though, it is incredibly sad to think this mare has tried so hard to function and cope with her blindness, to still wind up with so few choices available to her, which is probably what those offering her for free are feeling as well.

It's a tough predicament no matter which way you see it.

nythoroughbredvz
Allowance Winner

Postby nythoroughbredvz » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:28 pm

a saint like the owner in the "story" about the blind horse and the horse with the bell to guide her
Maybe disney will take her so they can make a movie or write a book about saving her! pute the damn horse to rest..

NorthStar
Allowance Winner

Postby NorthStar » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:00 pm

nythoroughbredvz wrote:a saint like the owner in the "story" about the blind horse and the horse with the bell to guide her
Maybe disney will take her so they can make a movie or write a book about saving her! pute the damn horse to rest..

I think you read that in a different light than it was intended. But your point is certainly clear as a bell!

casallc
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby casallc » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:12 pm

NorthStar wrote:There are many people that feel putting a standing, functioning animal down is an unforgivable act, including some Vets, but those same people can accept that mare ending up at slaughter.

I have never met any people like that. Usually someone who has that kind of mindset is radically opposed to slaughter. It is illegal to send a blind horse to slaughter in the U.S and is illegal to transport a blind horse for slaughter (into Mexico or Canada where there are no such laws). Moving a 20+ year old blind mare into a strange environment is more cruel than putting her down. These bleeding heart rescue zealots make me sick.

helen in FL
Starters Handicap

Postby helen in FL » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:40 pm

I have to say I agree with all parties involved.