Need Selling Advice

Questions and postings about buying and selling Thoroughbreds.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, madelyn

hollandperformancehorses
Newborn

Need Selling Advice

Postby hollandperformancehorses » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:00 am

Hi.... I'm new to the forum and I am hoping that I can get some selling advice.

I have a yearling Thoroughbred colt that I need to sell. I purchased the dam already pregnant with plans to breed her to my stallion. I show, train and breed Western Pleasure and Hunter Under Saddle Paints. I've been told that my colt has good bloodlines, but I'm not experienced in the race or thoroughbred world.

I really need to sell him. His dam is due with my stallion's baby any day. I'm asking $2500 which I think is low compared to what I've heard his siblings sold for, so I don't really want to move too much on his price.

His dam is Lees Wind Walker and sire is Emerald Affair. Please give me ideas on selling him quick. Thanks

casallc
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby casallc » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:35 am

I fear you have trusted what you were told, too much. Based upon pedigree your colt would not get a bid in a large thoroughbred sale unless he was a really outstanding individual (conformation-wise) then it would only be $1,000. His second dam, Queen of Truxton as well as her full sister Primonetta were bred to Quarter Horses, as many Truxton King mares were. I can't remember who it was but Primonetta was the dam of a big time running Quarter Horse about 20 or 25 years ago. Your colt has no pedigree value, his value is only as a riding horse.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:12 pm

Here are your colt's siblings:

Copyright Bloodstock Research Information Services, Inc., 2007

LEE'S WIND WALKER, 1996, Tormentoso (Arg)- Queen Of Lindsay by Giboulee.
YRS ST WN PL SH EARNED SR SSI
2001 Walkinblacktie,Gr/Ro,f,Emerald Affair Unraced
DP = 3-1-2-0-0 DI = 5.00 CD = 1.17
2002 Unnamed,c,Emerald Affair (Pending)
2003 Dreamline,f,Emerald Affair (Pending)
2004 Amigo Del Mojo,,c,Emerald Affair Unraced
SIRE 0.00 Spi, 1str, 0%2yo, 0%1st, 0%Mud/0 0%Tf/0 0.0
DAM(ur) 0.00 Dpi, 0 2yostr/0wnr, 0%Mud/0sts, 0 Tfstr/0wnr, 0 Rtestr/0wnr, AWD 0.0
2006 Unnamed,f,Emerald Affair (Live Foal)

Most have not even had Jockey Club registration completed, and are unraced and have never sold at auction. So whatever they "told" you the siblings sold for, it is just not true, unless they were private sales and you saw the bills of sale.

Have you registered this colt? The fees rise astronomically after the foal's one year birthday, and it will only exacerbate the problem if he is not registered and the fee has reached $525 (then $750, then $2000). I would not recommend a cataloged sale for this horse, you might spend $3,000 to send him and then not get a single bid, not even $1,000. Unregistered, I have sold off young stock like him for $250-350.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

hollandperformancehorses
Newborn

Postby hollandperformancehorses » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:56 pm

He is registered with Jockey Club, and I know all his siblings were sold as hunter jumpers. Conformation wise, he's built great, and I think he'd run like the wind. Regardless, he'll be a performer, whatever he does. I just don't really know if he'll sell for the same amount as a race horse or english prospect.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:38 am

According to the Jockey Club, your colt HAS been registered. It is his siblings who have not. Regardless, this colt's market is NOT in the racing world. If his siblings sold "well" as hunter prospects then that is the path for this horse also.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Shuvee
Yearling

Primonetta's good name

Postby Shuvee » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:15 pm

casallc wrote:I fear you have trusted what you were told, too much. Based upon pedigree your colt would not get a bid in a large thoroughbred sale unless he was a really outstanding individual (conformation-wise) then it would only be $1,000. His second dam, Queen of Truxton as well as her full sister Primonetta were bred to Quarter Horses, as many Truxton King mares were. I can't remember who it was but Primonetta was the dam of a big time running Quarter Horse about 20 or 25 years ago. Your colt has no pedigree value, his value is only as a riding horse.

I think that the full sister to Queen of Truxton must have been Primonette, not Primonetta, the Champion Older Mare of 1962 and Broodmare of the Year of 1978. Not knowing about QH racing, I could be wrong, but I would HOPE that her credentials and standing at Darby Dan kept her from "crossing the line." :wink:

casallc
Restricted Stakes Winner

Re: Primonetta's good name

Postby casallc » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:23 am

Shuvee wrote:
casallc wrote:I fear you have trusted what you were told, too much. Based upon pedigree your colt would not get a bid in a large thoroughbred sale unless he was a really outstanding individual (conformation-wise) then it would only be $1,000. His second dam, Queen of Truxton as well as her full sister Primonetta were bred to Quarter Horses, as many Truxton King mares were. I can't remember who it was but Primonetta was the dam of a big time running Quarter Horse about 20 or 25 years ago. Your colt has no pedigree value, his value is only as a riding horse.

I think that the full sister to Queen of Truxton must have been Primonette, not Primonetta, the Champion Older Mare of 1962 and Broodmare of the Year of 1978. Not knowing about QH racing, I could be wrong, but I would HOPE that her credentials and standing at Darby Dan kept her from "crossing the line." :wink:

You are correct. What a difference one little vowel makes.

Shuvee
Yearling

Postby Shuvee » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:26 am

No biggie. Just wanted to save her name. :D

And vowels can be a big thing...Pat Sajak's been selling them for years! "Pat, I'd like to buy an "e", please".

Sock Monkey
Allowance Winner

Re: Need Selling Advice

Postby Sock Monkey » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:31 am

hollandperformancehorses wrote:I really need to sell him. His dam is due with my stallion's baby any day. I'm asking $2500 which I think is low compared to what I've heard his siblings sold for, so I don't really want to move too much on his price.

I don't mean this to sound unpleasant, but the price seems high for a quick sale, even as a show horse prospect. Others who have more experience in the show horse market may correct me if I'm wrong here.

Why not market him as a show horse prospect? I think it's hard to market one as an either race or show prospect (and yours frankly isn't very attractive as a race prospect). He's not bred as a racehorse and you don't want show horse buyers thinking he's a failed racehorse prospect b/c something is wrong with him - sell him as what he is - a h/j prospect.

Good luck selling him and best of luck with the new foal coming.

hollandperformancehorses
Newborn

Postby hollandperformancehorses » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:26 pm

Your colt has no pedigree value, his value is only as a riding horse.

First let me say, thank you to the responses I received on selling my colt. I thought this forum was about Thoroughbreds, not just racing. To set the record straight I wasn't trying to sell this colt to compete with Kentucky thoroughbreds, that would just be silly. Also, I could care less if he goes to the track or not I raise and sell Western Pleasure and Hunter Under Saddle Paints. I just needed to get rid of him and I was asking questions since I am not in Paints NOT Thoroughbreds. I appreciate all the responses except the quote above. Remember there are tackful and polite ways of saying things, and that is not the way. I am a business owner and if I spoke like that to my clients, well I wouldn't be in business. Madelyn's and Sock Monkey's responses were to the point and very polite in telling me that he would be better suited for H/J than Racing.

casallc
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby casallc » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:45 pm

hollandperformancehorses wrote:
Your colt has no pedigree value, his value is only as a riding horse.

First let me say, thank you to the responses I received on selling my colt. I thought this forum was about Thoroughbreds, not just racing. To set the record straight I wasn't trying to sell this colt to compete with Kentucky thoroughbreds, that would just be silly. Also, I could care less if he goes to the track or not I raise and sell Western Pleasure and Hunter Under Saddle Paints. I just needed to get rid of him and I was asking questions since I am not in Paints NOT Thoroughbreds. I appreciate all the responses except the quote above. Remember there are tackful and polite ways of saying things, and that is not the way. I am a business owner and if I spoke like that to my clients, well I wouldn't be in business. Madelyn's and Sock Monkey's responses were to the point and very polite in telling me that he would be better suited for H/J than Racing.

Let me amend that then:
Your colt has no pedigree value, his value is only as a riding horse and that would be minimal.I'm retired, but I was a business owner also. My clients appreciated my straight forward, no BS methods because I made them money. If not they were free to go where someone would tell them what they wanted to hear - but cost them money.