Interesting take on dosage.

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Interesting take on dosage.

Postby Shammy Davis » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:36 pm

It looks like Steve Romans had to come up with an explanation for higher DI's in the KD. Certainly the term "inflation" is not something you see much when discussing pedigrees.

I'm not sure that DI is relevant anymore.

http://www.chef-de-race.com/dosage/clas ... matter.htm

Worksoplad
Starters Handicap

Postby Worksoplad » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:05 pm

It can't be relevant when they are not keeping up with naming current (recent) horses chef de race. It stands to reason that dosage is going to sink into the background, i.e. be buried in the 4th, 5th etc generations.
"Who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, but he who destroys a good book kills reason itself." John Milton.

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:19 pm

Worksoplad posted:
It can't be relevant when they are not keeping up with naming current (recent) horses chef de race.

It is same for Blue Hen recognition.

All the numerical formulas including family # is falling through the cracks and very large cracks at that. They don't give pedigree analysis any substance.

parlo
Grade I Winner

Postby parlo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:18 am

German-based sire Monsun is recently promoted into a Chef:

http://www.chef-de-race.com/dosage/chef ... monsun.htm

Monsun has been the first German sire in this classification since many decades and reflects the growing importance of German tb-breeding on international level.

His classification as "classic/stout" seems correct from the US-point of view which is much more sprint-focussed than racing in continental Europe and Ireland.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:27 am

Part of the problem with dosage is that it is subjective in that a stallion makes the cut or not. Once it does, everything changes. It is based in looking backward - and that inevitably past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. A freak or two, maybe coming more from the female fam can change things significantly.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

parlo
Grade I Winner

Postby parlo » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:15 am

Part of the problem is that discussions about tb-breeding always refer to the past. You can find this in any auction-catalogue as well, where racing- and breedinf-performances of ancestors and their other offsprings are listed.Another example is Louis's "famous" threat.

"Practical horsemen" call this reference to the past "experience" sometimes "knowledge" and "personal expertise".

siegy
Allowance Winner

Postby siegy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:41 pm

parlo wrote:Part of the problem is that discussions about tb-breeding always refer to the past. You can find this in any auction-catalogue as well, where racing- and breedinf-performances of ancestors and their other offsprings are listed.Another example is Louis's "famous" threat.

"Practical horsemen" call this reference to the past "experience" sometimes "knowledge" and "personal expertise".

Hallo Parlo,

But......... Caufield??//??

Southern Speed = 524
Green Moon = 446
Tullamore = 424

Good Luck Next Time,

Siegy,
Flora is beginning of biology, chemistry is master.